Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toyota 4 Runner Owners

Options
Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,365
My other truck / suv thread doesnt bump anymore and I think Ive settled on a 4 Runner. I know there are a few owners here so please let me know you you like them. Im thinking a new 14 or 15 trail model with just the audio packange upgrade. Seems nicely equipped with what I need and not paying for allot I dont. @TheShaytoon‌ I know you have one and pretty sure there are more here. Tell me ypur experiences please, its a big buying decision.
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of the 14 front end and knew that was the SUV I wanted so I went with a slightly used one. I found a 13 with the tow package and leather with 21,000 miles on it that was locally owned with a clean car fax for $25,700. So far I couldn't be happier. One nice thing I got is the plastic liner for the back area. It cover the whole area well and was only $99 from the dealer. Makes cleanup much easier.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I have a 2000 w 220k miles that i bought new and now my daughter drives. I have a loaded 2013 that I love. I'll likely always be a 4runner owner,
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Lit
    Options
  • Lit
    Options
    Another thing sorry its off topic I just swapped all my headlight bulbs out to the Sylvania Ultra bulbs and they are so much nicer. A little higher on the K spectrum and way brighter overall.
  • Dobie
    Options
    @Lit‌ thats a nice truck and agree on the front end. If I could find a low mile well kept 13 I would be all over it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Have you driven one yet @Dobie‌ ? I've always loved them but the new ones drive differently to me. Nothing wrong with it and it's probably personal preference, but I don't like the way they kinda lurch when you put the in gear. The fjs do it too, same drivetrain. Almost like it's idled too high. Quality wise though I really like them. All the toyotas are great in that regard. Love working on them.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dobie
    Options
    @JethroVA‌ any maintenance issues over the years? This is my first Toyo and have high expectations on the merchanical quality.
    Jacksonville FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I absolutely love this forum and we have some extremely intelligent people here that can answer just about everything from the science of food to frying bacon naked. With that being said I'd probably be also looking elsewhere for answers for a $30,000+ vehicle. I'd definitely become a member at some type of Toyota forum. Make them sell you it. Even a Toyota forum will give you the cons of owning one. (Just like here: cough, cough, Kamado Joe). I'm not trying to sound like a douche and can 100% understand how you can value someones opinion here but you might want to jump around Toyota forums with questions about the 4runner. I joined a Ford forum when buying my Ford truck. The forum still comes in handy with questions/repairs
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Have you looked into the 2015 Subaru Outback?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Dobie
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌ I havent drove one yet. Might go by a dealer ths weekend just to inspect. I dont think the one Im after is in stock near me right now. Looking for white trail model with minimal options. My brother just hot a used FJ, have to ask him about that issue.
    Jacksonville FL
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @Dobie‌ I wanted a 4Runner,but couldn't find a used one I liked, so I bought the FJ.

When the wifey wanted a new car we looked at every car on the market, and every SUV. For the price, the choice was clear. We ended up with a Limited, it has all wheel drive, and third row seats, she insisted on the third row seats... We don't even have kids. But hey, whatever.

So far, and we've had for exactly 2 years, one flat tire. And I think she has 30k miles on it.

I'm ready to buy a new car, and it's between a 911 and a 4Runner. The only thing against the 4runner is that we already have one. It looks strange when both people on the house have the same car...i am looking at the white TRD 4runner trail.

One word of caution, this is a truck based SUV , so it has a truck frame and is not a unibody car that they turned into a SUV. So it rides a little more like a truck. And one other thing, it doesn't have some of the latest gadget technology. One other thing that we love is that on ours, the rear gate glass rolls down, so we can leave the pups in there.

Any specific questions?

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have driven them for years from when they were introduced till the 2014's as Demos. I feel they are the very best Toyota made. When time came for me to buy cars at retirement I was in a bind. First I told Linda she should get one and I would get a 4dr Tacoma. She has driven all the cars and wanted her driver to be a Van. So I had to decide between the tacoma and 4Runner. We live on an acre and always have crap to haul so the Tacoma 4X4 won out. Still feel the 4Runner is the very best of Toyota. My one peace of advice is to relook the Trail. I feel you are paying a lot extra that you can save in the SR5.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dobie
    Options

Not enough tow capacity and has a more car like style to it than I'm looking for.
    Jacksonville FL
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options

I too like the 2015 Outback. It has been redesigned for 2015 with a bunch of upgrades. My wife drives a Lexus RX350 and we are thinking about going to the Outback, the 2015 has a lot of features we have grown to love on Lexus and I think the Subaru is better buy without sacrificing quality.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    Oh the WeatherTech floor mats are a must... Wife rides horses, and she takes this to the barn. That is a dirty sport.

Dallas, TX

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Dobie yeah you really need to drive one before you get your heart set on it.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dobie
    Options
    @TheShaytoon‌ understand what your saying about it being a truck an ride like one, no issues there. Its an advantage off road and Im not expecting a crossover type ride. Guess Im just curious if theres anything to watch out for or avoid. @Mickey‌ thats good info from someone who knows Toyota. I will look at the SR5 again. I dont want to mod this truck with lift ect so I figured the trail gave more ground clearence ect.
    Jacksonville FL
  • piney
    Options
    Dobie said:

Not enough tow capacity and has a more car like style to it than I'm looking for.
    Dobie you are right the Outback has leaned more toward the higher end SUV market than in the past. Do you remember at one time they were used mostly for mail carriers, and tree huggers! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Dobie
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Dobie yeah you really need to drive one before you get your heart set on it.

Will do but since im coming out of a 97 Grand Cherokee with 199K on the clock anything new will feel like a caddy to me.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    piney said:
    Dobie said:

Dobie you are right the Outback has leaned more toward the higher end SUV market than in the past. Do you remember at one time they were used mostly for mail carriers, and tree huggers! 

I hear good things about the Subarus but just not my style. They need to market to rednecks more :D
    Jacksonville FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    One thing I have always preached was to keep in mind at some time you will get rid of it. Three of the very best vehicles to hold value of all vehicles are the 4Runner, Tacoma, & FJ (now discontinued). What I am saying is you can't go wrong with the 4Runner, I would be driving one now if it was not for yard work type crap.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dobie
    Options
    Mickey said:
    One thing I have always preached was to keep in mind at some time you will get rid of it. Three of the very best vehicles to hold value of all vehicles are the 4Runner, Tacoma, & FJ (now discontinued). What I am saying is you can't go wrong with the 4Runner, I would be driving one now if it was not for yard work type crap.

I found that out searching for used. Not many to be had and for the prices might as well go new just about. Depreciation in vehicles can be depressing given the cost. Its good to know this is a better investment than most.
    Jacksonville FL
  • piney
    Options
    Dobie...and you think I not a redneck? My neice said they were made for Lezzys, and hippies (Subaru). I still like em. But. the Toyota is a very good choice. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Lit
    Options
    @dobie it took me 3 months to find a used one I wanted. The best site I found for used ones from dealers was mojomotors.com. Most of the local dealers use it so you don't have to go from dealer to dealer looking and its easy to filter out what you want and they even link back to the dealers site and have the car fax most of the time.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    The fact that they are hard to locate on the used market speaks volumes.

Dallas, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If I didn't have my 2011 Ford F150 Crew Cab I would want a new Explorer or the Bronco.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bly0243IcAAYSE_.jpg:large
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    If I didn't have my 2011 Ford F150 Crew Cab I would want a new Explorer or the Bronco. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bly0243IcAAYSE_.jpg:large

I can't wait til Ford comes out with the Bronco again. I'll drop whatever I am driving and get one. I also had an FJ, it was awesome. Would have kept it longer but as kids got older it was hard not having a true 4 door. Selfishly, I regret selling the FJ. It was a great vehicle. When/If the Bronco comes back, I'll deal without it having 4 doors.

• Dobie
    Options
    Bronco is a unicorn ;)
    Jacksonville FL
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I think the only reason that the FJ died was because it has two doors.  People can say that the styling got old, but the styling of the FJ was so off the wall, people who bought it initially did so because of the concept and not the looks.  I still love the way it looks, and there is so much you can add to it..

With that being said, a full size two door bronco will NEVER happen.  I know, I just said NEVER! Look at the marketplace, even 2 door cars are becoming a rare thing.  The BMW 6 series was a two door, but you know what their best selling model is?  The Gran Coupe.  Sure it is freaking SEXY as hell, but the four doors is what makes it the most popular.  

If you are going to bring back the Bronco, can we also bring back the 2Door K5 Blazer / Tahoe / Yukon.  I would buy any of those!  

imageimage

Dallas, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @TheShaytoon‌ don't be silly, get the 911 or a Cayman. Find one through Carmax and get the extended warranty unless you can wrench.