Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Vegetable bean barley soup

Here is a recipe I have been working on for several years now. It all started as a challenge from my wife when I commented that a bowl of soup she heated (canned soup) tasted like the can and that I could "do better."[p]1 sweet onion chopped
4 celery sticks sliced thin
4 carrots sliced thin
1 big handful of fresh green beans
1/4 green pepper
1 cup broccoli tops in small bite size pieces
2 bay leafs
1/8 tsp sage
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1.5 tsp Parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp white pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced
32 oz vegetable broth
1 can (about 15 oz) white northern beans
1 can (about 15 oz) Pinto beans
1 can (about 15 oz) Garbanzo beans
1 can (about 15 oz) corn, drained
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (about 15 oz) diced tomatoes
2 tsp honey
2 pinch cayenne pepper (small pinches)[p]Add above ingredients to large pot (I use a dutch oven), add water to top off pot, and simmer for about an hour. Add salt to taste at this point (I add about 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt). Add about 3/4 cup barley and simmer another hour until barley softens. Serve hot. This makes quite a bit of soup and it is MUCH better the next day.[p]This meal provides complete protien and my kids love it. Try something new and enjoy![p]Banker John

·

Comments

• bankerjohn@tampabay.rr.com,
    Sounds good tasting soup, I love soups of any kind. I'm gonna give this a try when our kitchen is all finished.

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,835
    I served as a test kitchen of this recipe for Banker John yesterday and made a large pot of this hearty soup. It really is good and I recommend it. It is a culinary symphony of tastes and textures!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • bankerjohn@tampabay.rr.com,[p]Since I have practically all the ingredients in my kitchen now, I know what I'll be eating for lunch most days this week. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds like a winner.[p]smokeydrew
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,835
    smokeydrew, well, yes it does make a full Dutch oven pot so you'll be eating it for a while. I instead freeze one pint quantities in Food Saver bags. Right now I have a melody of soups in my freezer to choose from and the super convenience of reheating.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • bankerjohn@tampabay.rr.com,[p]Great recipe. I made a batch yesterday @ a total cost of ~$4.00, other than items I already had on hand. My wife ate half a bowl before asking, is there any meat in here? I did almost double the quantity of liquid after adding the barley as it turned more to a thick stew than soup.[p]Thanks,
    smokeydrew

·