Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL and my first butt

Options
Laugh44
Laugh44 Posts: 9
Just got my first egg 2 weeks ago and finally got time to do a butt low and slow. Took me awhile to figure out how to keep the temp down (I think I let the coals heat up too fast with the lid open) but I figured it out. The Maverick 733 was so dang helpful, once I got the egg set up right I never had to visit the egg until it was time to pull the butt out. It took 7 1/2 hours to cook the 7# butt on 250. Letting it rest now. Will let you know how it turns out.

XL BGE, Mav 733

Kennesaw, GA

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. The egg will cruise once you get it set. Off to a good start. Pics and everything.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to eggdom. 7# butt, 7.5 hours at 250° seems quick to me. What was the internal temp when you pulled off?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @Laugh44‌ -- I sure hope it turns out good for you. 7.5 hrs usually isn't long enough at the 250. Maybe, but I doubt it. I'm pulling for you.

I'm having some fun rearranging the words in the title of your thread. Some interesting combinations....
    Hey sorry I have a warped sense of humor :)

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Laugh44
    Options
    Internal temp was 180 according to the maverick.

XL BGE, Mav 733

Kennesaw, GA

• TigerTony
    Options
    @Laugh44 -- 180 is a good temp. Especially for slicing. Most people shoot for 200 degrees when they want pulled pork. I love it both ways. I'm sure yours will be just fine.

New Orleans

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    I cooked a 7 pound picnic for last night's supper. After 14 hours it was at 195. FTC at 2:00 pm for supper. Hope it was good. Undercooked can be dry and tough.
    Bob

Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Was 180° your target temp or did it probe like buttah at 180° ? Don't get me wrong the char on the outside looks spot on. Just seems fast
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'd wrap that plate setter in some heavy duty foil and save yourself some cleaning heartache when it starts burning off nasty smoke.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Foil is your new friend :D
  • TigerTony
    Options
    I'd wrap that plate setter in some heavy duty foil and save yourself some cleaning heartache when it starts burning off nasty smoke.
    I couldn't agree more.     @Laugh44 ^^^take note of that. It's solid advice.

Never could understand why people don't protect their stones or plate-setters. 
    New Orleans

• Laugh44
    Options
    Just finished eating. The closer I got to center, the tougher it was to pull it. I chopped everything so it wasn't a problem. I'll shoot for the 200 temp next time I want it more tender. Thanks for all the advice and tips. I'm loving this thing!!! I'm hooked.

XL BGE, Mav 733

Kennesaw, GA

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Don't just shoot for 200 and call it done. You want to probe it in the thickest places and feel no resistance. You'll see it on here as like buttah. Start checking in the 190-195 neighborhood. That is for pulled pork. Also, the shoulder bone should move freely.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey welcome from another newbie, I'm sure hooked. I've only done 3 butts but you'll find at 200 they pull so easy. Try amazingribs.com's Memphis Dust on you're next butt. Easy recipe to mix up and sure tasty.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA