Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked on the egg tonight - egg sweating grease or something

Options
Since I was home today and stuck in the house with a snow storm we decided to cook on the egg. Cooked a nice hanger steak and potato pockets. Sorry no pics. Came out good but the egg was sweating nasty grease on the outside. I have not used e egg in over a month and cooked at 450. Kept wiping the grease off the egg. Is that from sitting? Or since it's cold out and snowing and getting the egg hot?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Seems to happen when the Egg is not used for a while after a high fat cook (pork) and a lot of rain/moisture. As the moisture comes out of the hot Egg, it starts sweating grease. Not a problem. Just clean it off and it will be fine.
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Ok thanks. Just nasty looking. Going for a turkey on Saturday hopefully as well.

Garnerville, NY
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    No pics, didn't happen ;)
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Moral of the story; never let your egg sit that long. Also, it's time for a good hot clean burn.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I would guess it is just condensation.  Before the egg warmed all the way through, the outer surfaces may have been cool enough to condense the moisture/grease laden air being exhausted.  If the sweating/condensation improved as the cook progressed and the outside warmed, I feel certain this is the cause.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It's the egg sending you a warning: use me more often ot else....

It happens. No worries. But I would stay away from a clean burn
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I would like to use it more just don't have the time.

Garnerville, NY