Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap leaks

Options
OK, I just finished a 350 degree smoke.
Closed the smokeware SS cap.
Closed the bottom vent.

I witnessed a small but significant drift of smoke coming from the cap.
Not from the base, but from the slots, so my felt seal on the based is sealed.

I removed the Smokeware SS cap, and placed my BGE ceramic cap on.
It still had a small leak but much much smaller than the Smokeware.

I then rotated the BGE cap some and got the drift of smoke to disappear.

Without a doubt, my Smokeware SS cap can not shut down my Egg as quickly as my BGE ceramic cap.

YMMV, depending on how tightly your SS cap fits to itself and how well your ceramic cap seals on your Egg.

But I know there is nothing I can say to Smokeware that their product they delivered to me is defective.  They make no claims that it will shut down as quick or quicker than the BGE ceramic cap.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    My SW cap is slower to shut down as well, but my ceramic is in about 4 bagazillion pieces so I'm stuck unless I foil my daisy wheel.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Mine is slower too, but for me, the benefits outweigh the leakage.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mine did not shut down as fast when I first started using it but fast enough not to keep burning lump.
    I never used my ceramic cap, only used the cast iron daisy on the BGE to shut it down and it also leaked a little. After a couple cooks the Smokeware Cap gunks up a little, just like the BGE cast iron daisy, and seals better. Give it a few more cooks. You might see a little smoldering smoke but it will still snuff it out pretty fast. 
    If you really do not like it I would still contact them and tell them. They are super nice people...
    I bet they will do what ever it takes to make you happy. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@Zmokin - As you use the Smokeware SS cap, more stuff builds up inside, and the seal improves.  It may never be as good for snuffing the fire as a ceramic cap, but it isn't far behind.  I haven't had a ceramic cap on either the XL or the medium since May.  I've seen folks cleaning their SS caps, can't fathom why... 

Santa Paula, CA
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I only clean my SS cap when it takes 2 hands to slide the door.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't have a smoke ware so I'm not sure if this would help or even fit, but Rutland makes a window gasket that might work. It even has peel and stick adhesive and it rated to 1000°. 11/16" wide. Not sure how thick though. I saw it in a hardware store a couple of months ago and seem to recall it's about 1/16" thick. I'm sure a phone call would answer that question... 800-544-1307. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Well I've only had it a month and it's seems to be looser now. I'm gonna take your guy's word and keep truckin.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @tksmoke‌ I clean mine inside and out with Barkeepers friend only for appearance purposes. Same with my SS table. I have snuffed with SW and ceramic cap. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine why the cap is quicker at this task. My SW will snuff it just as fast as the DFMT. I've had mine for awhile. And yes Matthew at Smokeware is terrific. I bought mine directly from him at his Jax Beach office/warehouse.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Well, with more gunk build up, the SS cap may seal better, but then it will also be gluing it self shut harder when it cools down.  It already takes a fair amount of force to get the thing to open when it's ambient temp.  Once it turns, it is easily adjusted.  For me, I would rather just keep on using ceramic for shut down as it is far superior on my BGE for conserving unburned lump, and maybe occasionally clean the SS cap so it isn't so hard to adjust when cold.  I do like the SS cap over the Daisy wheel.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Husker, no doubt the SW should take longer, it just seems to be getting looser as when I remove the top, now the base wants to come with it. If I'm ever home during the daylight hours when it's not raining I want to look at the seal underneath. Maybe it's loose, damaged. Very happy with the cap overall. Beats dealing with that floppy daisy.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I've been saying this since I've had mine and tried 2 different ones.
    It looks cute though
    Seattle, WA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I made a foil "plate" that fits inside my BGE ceramic cap. It seals tightly when placed on the egg. 

I cook with my stainless cap, then replace it with the ceramic cap/foil seal when shutting down...no problems.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Donnie if it gets to the point that it's pissing me off, that's what I'll do. Part of the appeal of the stainless was I could leave it on outside without getting all rusted up.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My Smokeware cap shuts the egg down much faster than the ceramic. Probably because I got mine when it was still an Eggware Cap and has magical abilities. B-)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My Smokeware cap shuts the egg down much faster than the ceramic. Probably because I got mine when it was still an Eggware Cap and has magical abilities. B-)
    OK, that was funny...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If (when?) I break my ceramic cap, maybe I'll buy smokeware. But maybe not. 

I have a $5 chimney cap that I bought years before there WAS a smokeware cap. For my purposes, I use the dfmt only for low and slow cooks and with only the petals open so the chimney cap works with or without the dfmt in place. But since I long ago gave up cooking in the rain, I rarely use it. 

I cook almost everything without the dfmt. So I really don't have much need for SW except to shut down after a cook. If it's not that great for that, maybe I'll just get a new ceramic cap if I ever need a replacement. It's about 10 bucks cheaper anyway. And I would never have to degrease it! A definite plus there!!

SW does look really cool though. When it's clean.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Count me in the group that LOVES his SmokeWare cap and in over 2 years I have never even once returned to using that daisy, nor the ceramic cap. I do believe though the original SmokeWare caps formerly sold as EggWare caps fit tighter with less tolerance meaning less slippage. Just the same the gasket inside the cap plus the build up of crud seals my cap quite nicely!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I bought my egg new in 2006 and don't remember getting a ceramic cap I always just closed the daisy wheel. Didn't know it came with one until years later. I have the smokeware now.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Do all smokeware ss caps come with gasketing material between egg and base...and between base and tophat ??

Mine did not come with any type of seal... I have seen folks mentioning that theirs was bad/not working well, but I am too slow to figure out why they even needed or wanted gaskets !!!!!!!

Now I understand...for shutting down the egg !!!!!!   Now I too need gaskets....then I will not have to use my foil and ceramic top to shutdown with.

Where is the best source??     Thanks in advance...again !!!!

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Smokeware cap is great .When shutting down ,ceramic cap goes on ,lower vent gets closed and that's it .Haven't used cast iron cap in I don't know how long .
  • Carolina Q
    Options

sctdg said:
    Smokeware cap is great .When shutting down ,ceramic cap goes on ,lower vent gets closed and that's it .Haven't used cast iron cap in I don't know how long .
    But half the benefit of the SW is supposed to be not having to mess with two caps. Or dropping the breakable ceramic.

If that's all it's good for, I'll never buy one. I hardly use the cast iron anyway.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    My daisy works great. No need to get this, IMO.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    My daisy works great. No need to get this, IMO.

my original ceramic cap came cracked.  the store replaced it right away, and i decided it must be precious, so i don't use it.  daisy thing seems to work.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No issues on my shutdown with SW.....I haven't really measured though.  Certainly not significantly d ifferent to really matter.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Do all smokeware ss caps come with gasketing material between egg and base...and between base and tophat ??

Mine did not come with any type of seal... I have seen folks mentioning that theirs was bad/not working well, but I am too slow to figure out why they even needed or wanted gaskets !!!!!!!

Now I understand...for shutting down the egg !!!!!!   Now I too need gaskets....then I will not have to use my foil and ceramic top to shutdown with.

Where is the best source??     Thanks in advance...again !!!!

It should have come with a length of peel & stick Nomex. The directions suggest placing it on the egg, but I preferred to put mine on the inside of the cap as well. Did you buy yours recently? If so you should have received the gasket so call them and tell them you didn't get it. I'm sure Matt will oblige.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Mine doesnt snuff as good as the ceramic BGE cap but I dont have to switch and store caps. definitely room for a better mouse trap on this Item.
    Jacksonville FL
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My gasket looked more like the OEM top gasket. Just purchased this month.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    They make no claims that it will shut down as quick or quicker than the BGE ceramic cap.

There is a PDF file floating around the net thats supposedly an independent evaluation between the two caps that claims its just as good but the whole thing looked hokey to me.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    It's called propaganda.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Thanks @RRP...I'll follow up tomorrow.