Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Ribs

Options
Connected on a deer over the weekend with my bow. Butchered him yesterday and saved the ribs outta him ... been wanting to try slow smoking deer ribs for quite sometime. Anyone ever try this on a BGE or have any recommendations?

My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @tarheelmatt did some HERE recently

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @RickyBobby, if you take a look at my post @Griffin mentioned (BTW thanks Griff) I went indirect at 250°, then they went into a sauce bath.  I almost think doing the sauce bath first, like boiling them before could tender them up more.  The people at work thought they were great and the best you can do with deer ribs.  Me, I want to compare them to pork ribs. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • badinfluence
    Options
    My advice would be cut as much meat as you can off them and use it for grind. Just not really enough meat on them to bother with.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • wpendlegg
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing how this turns out. I was looking at the ribs on the deer I got this weekend and wondering the same. Could I? No way.. Maybe.. Nah.

Decided against it. It's all getting ground up.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Thanks fellas! I'm just bored of my typical sausage making. Now that I have my Egg I tend to explore more with my venison cuts. Made awesome butterfly chops outta my loins last year and also wrapped a whole loin with some bacon. Appreciate all the suggestions. I pulled the thin film like skin off them and rubbed them down like I would an ordinary pork rib. Might let sit wrapped in fridge for a day or two. Then planning on putting on my Egg, one morning early, before I leave for work. Might set temp around 200. When I get home from work, then wrap in foil and use Apple Juice and Honey and finish at desired temp. I left quite a bit of fat on them on back side hoping this will help keep them from drying out. You guys think it's good idea to try this cook while I'm gone? Damn things might dry out! Not sure.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I'm interested in how those finish, I don't get a lot of venison.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Good luck, hope they turn out but from what I've read it seems the juice really isn't worth the squeeze on deer ribs. I've never liked the tast of deer fat and so we always cut as much off as possible and just used the rib trimmings for sausage meat. More power to you if it works out for you.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Not sure i would do it while you're gone because it's so lean. Like everyone else I'm curious how it turns out, always used rin meat for grind.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Maybe I'll save them for Saturday .... or just do them when I come home one evening

We will see
  • badinfluence
    Options
    The fat on the ribs will kill the taste of the meat. Trim as much fat off and do not do them while at work they will be dryer out assuming you are gone 8 hours.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    With the leanness of deer I would think about either covering it with bacon or a short smoke session followed by some sort of braise. Never have done this but thinking out loud here.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    So more importantly what kind of bow do you shoot?
    Greensboro, NC
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    What about maybe splitting them up in size so they fit in my cast iron dutch oven? Then grilling them in some type of water and broth concoction. Once they almost reach desired doneness; pull and finish with a quick hot sear?
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I have done deer ribs 1 time and honestly it was not worth the effort with how l I title meat you get from them.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

So more importantly what kind of bow do you shoot?

Hoyt all the way!
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Here's a couple pics for all you deer hunters who might enjoy or appreciate them!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sweet ass sweet!  My brother got a buck last week.  Snacking on him now actually.
    Live in deer country and never heard of Q'n deer ribs.  Just think it's not worth the hassle, and not the right animal for this, for reasons mentioned above. 

I need to step up, come full circle, and get a bow.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    The ones I cooked had lots of meat on them, but they halved the ribs.  I brought them to work and they were gone quick and people were coming over talking about how good they were.  Like I said, I keep wanting to compare them to pork, but that isn't an even comparison.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Nice buck! I'm with you, love my Hoyt!
  • RickyBobby
    Options

Nice buck! I'm with you, love my Hoyt!

I've been shooting Hoyt's for 20yrs or better ... they're reliable and accurate. Plain and simple!
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Never again! Tried doing these up yesterday and they were god awful! Honestly, I threw them in the trash. For now on, rib meat is trimmed and put into sausage. No questions asked. BaHaHaHaHa!

Never hurts to explore your options though
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @RickyBobby‌ i tried to tell ya. Been there done that.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Focker
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Never again! Tried doing these up yesterday and they were god awful! Honestly, I threw them in the trash. For now on, rib meat is trimmed and put into sausage. No questions asked. BaHaHaHaHa! Never hurts to explore your options though
    You're right, never hurts to give it a shot.

Gotta tell ya, your post pushed me over the edge, put a down payment on a 2015 Carbon Spyder ZT 34 after shooting some bows at the local shop.  I hate you. lol

Checking out a new hunting spot we confirmed permission tomorrow.  100 acres, surrounded by corn, water source running through, cousin says its promising.  With practice, I won't be up and running this year, but it will be good to get a game plan for next.  Can you tell the hamster wheel is spinning? :D

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RickyBobby
    Options
    @Focker‌ ~ if I had anything at all to do with motivating someone to purchase a new bow and getting out there and spending some time in the timber then that makes my post worth the while.Good Luck to you! Hope you enjoy every second of it.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @RickyBobby, how did you cook them?  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌, the exact same way I do pork ribs except I foiled them with liquid much longer hoping they wouldn't dry out. It was the grisly, greasy type fat that was a turn off for me. Plus the smell alone about did me in. I could see maybe boiling for a good length of time and finishing on the Egg but how much smoke flavor would they really take on at that point??? I doubt I ever give em another run ... not worth the effort to me.
  • Focker
    Options
    @Focker‌ ~ if I had anything at all to do with motivating someone to purchase a new bow and getting out there and spending some time in the timber then that makes my post worth the while.Good Luck to you! Hope you enjoy every second of it.
    Should've done this a long time ago.  My dad hunts.  My brother, uncles, cousins, several friends, all hunt.  Everyone I worked with in the shop when I was a shop guy, hunted and did 3D shoots.  For some strange reason, I didn't catch the bug even though I enjoy eating venison.  I was the griller, they were the killers.  That's gonna change.   ;)

Time in the timber is beautiful, peaceful.  A great escape from the everyday BS.  Spent some QT getting familiar with the new spot today.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities