Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moisture

Options
Recently purchased the XL. I've cooked on this about 5 times so far. An issue I am having is keeping the meat moist. Is anyone using water for steam in the egg? Or anyone have recommendations?

Comments

• EggBaker81
    Options

What meat have you tried so far? 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    One of the great advantages of the Egg is that it keeps meats that you cook moist.  If things are drying out one thing that you might be doing is constantly checking your food.  Resist the temptation.  Let it cook and check when necessary.  Also invest in a decent to good thermometer.  Once you hit your temp let the food rest.  This also helps lock in the moisture.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    More details would help.
    Normally with a ceramic grill keeping moisture is not an issue. More of an issue trying to crisp up skin and such because it holds the moisture so well.
    Typically if the food is coming out dry it's because it's over cooked and the moisture was just cooked out of the meat.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Please provide some more information. What meat? What temp did you cook at? Direct or indirect? What temp was the meat when finished? Generally, you should not need to add water to keep the food moist.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• EggBaker81
    Options

jcaspary said:
    One of the great advantages of the Egg is that it keeps meats that you cook moist.  If things are drying out one thing that you might be doing is constantly checking your food.  Resist the temptation.  Let it cook and check when necessary.  Also invest in a decent to good thermometer.  Once you hit your temp let the food rest.  This also helps lock in the moisture.
    All great points, be sure to allow for carry over cooking... Pull small pieces (chicken breast) about 3-5 degrees early and large ones (whole Turkey) around 8-10... unless it is a slow braised product
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    a thermapen and this chart helped me alot when starting out, its not a perfect chart but its a good starting point

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/meat-doneness-chart/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    @fishlessman Thanks man!!!  I've been looking for something like this. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    ^^^What they said^^^

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EggBaker81
    Options
    a thermapen and this chart helped me alot when starting out, its not a perfect chart but its a good starting point

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/meat-doneness-chart/

This is one of the best charts of this kind that I have seen...  Going into my favorites to reference for others.  Thanks Fishless

• Lgri
    Lgri Posts: 3
    Options
    I have cooked both a 5lb beef brisket and pork butt. Both were dry and lid only opened at the very end to check internal temp of meat. I pulled both at 195.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A 5lb beef brisket is very small and not a full brisket i would bet. Might it be just the well trimmed flat portion? If so it would make for a challenging cook. They look pretty all trimmed up laying in the grocery store but they are harder to cook with all the fat trimmed.
    Both brisket and pork butt are done when they are tender not so much a meat that is cooked to a specific temp.
    How large was the pork butt?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Agree with Photo_Egg
    I start checking both of those cooks** at 190. That's when I start using a bamboo skewer to make sure it slides in and out really easy. 

FWIW, since leaving the NE where a full packer is like a unicorn, I will never cook a flat alone. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I did a 7lb. flat Saturday and it wasn't dry at all.  The ends were a bit tough because it outstretched the plate setter but not dry at all.  Are you allowing the meat to rest long enough before pulling/slicing??

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    tazcrash said:

...NE where a full packer is like a unicorn... 

LOL, I have actually seen as many unicorns as packers!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tazcrash said:

...NE where a full packer is like a unicorn... 

LOL, I have actually seen as many unicorns as packers!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Water for steam isn't the issue. All of the water is cooked out of the butt when it is cooked to 190* or higher. Could be a bad cut or it actually needed to go another 5* higher.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Gotta agree with Everbody saying the butt prolly needed to be cooked longer. As for the flat ummm that happens from time to time with brisket, even whole briskets. Cook to tenderness no temp on the big cuts of meat.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @lgir, if you want sliced pork pull at 185 if you want pulled pork pull at 195 to 200. Let rest a little after talking it off and it should be juicy.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I should be sleeping...but I'm not.

Dry butts, brisket, ribs - usually undercooked

Dry loin, breast, roasts, steaks - usually overcooked

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    DMW said:

Good information right here... 

I too, find it easy to undercook butts and briskets. They are done... when they are done (put a fork in it)
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Yeah, people HAVE to stop pulling at certain temps. I've had butts done at 195 and others that went to 210. That's far too wide a gap to be pulling at certain temps. When the thing probes with little to no resistance, that's when you're good. 
    mcmac said:
    DMW said:

Good information right here... 

I too, find it easy to undercook butts and briskets. They are done... when they are done (put a fork in it)
    This... 

People have to stop pulling at certain temps. I've had butts done at 195 and others that went to 210. That's far too wide a gap to be pulling at certain temps. When the thing probes with little to no resistance, that's when you're good. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Lgri said:
    I have cooked both a 5lb beef brisket and pork butt. Both were dry and lid only opened at the very end to check internal temp of meat. I pulled both at 195.
    Like the others have said, these were most likely not cooked enough.  195º is a good temp to start checking for doneness - by feel. Often they will not be ready until 200-205º - but always go by feel.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.