Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at Pastrami

Options
2»

Comments

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

Your pics look amazing.  I'd love to try something like this, sans pressure cooker if possible.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Legume said:

Definitely doing this again, not like anything I can get in a store. The pressure cooker finish makes it really tender and moist. Next time I'll cook two at a time.

Love the way you staged this pic!! Great and great cook!!!!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    edited October 2014
    Options

@thirdeye - is there a minimum size needed?
    Not really, your only limitation would be the manufacturers recommendation for amount (height) of product in your pressure cooker.  My smallest pressure cooker is a Kuhn Rikon 5 Qt that will fit one small pastrami (brisket flat).  I have an 8 Qt  one I use for larger roasts, and when I do 2 or 3 at the same time I use my pressure canner which is either 16 or 18 quarts.  Here is the little guy with one pastrami.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @thirdeye

so, you set it directly in the water?  I wasn't sure so I propped the rack up higher to get it out of the water.  does the bark boil off?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    thanks @Cazzy -  inspired by a little pizza place in Dripping Springs called Pieous that makes their own pastrami and serves on a board like this with some grainy mustard and a few other things
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Legume said:
    @thirdeye

so, you set it directly in the water?  I wasn't sure so I propped the rack up higher to get it out of the water.  does the bark boil off?
    @Legume  There is a little rack underneath you can't see, and if you have the headroom, you could raise the rack a little.  I cook mine fat down, so if it's sitting in broth it's no big deal about the bark.. as I take a thin slice of the fat off after cooking anyway.   The top bark will soften, the picture above was taken after pressure cooking, But when I get them to the platter for resting I blot off excess moisture and the bark firms back up in a few minutes.  If you chill them the bark is really nice.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification...

All these pics just look like pure goodness!!!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Only thing I would add is thousand island and sauer kraut on sourdough - I'm not a fan of rye. That looks excellent, I'll be working in Berkeley this week... where should we meet up? Haha
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @legume
    That looks fantastic, love the pic as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've smoked a couple corn beef briskets, pastrami rubbed on my Weber Smokey Mountain a few years ago and they were great, but I didn't know about putting it in a pressure cooker. I may have to try this or at least the oven method.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.