Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza flop!

Options
Colonel Pork Butt
Colonel Pork Butt Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy New Year to the Forum![p]Well after a crueling fall schedule and a few timely gifts over the holidays, I tried my hand at pizza and was shelled by friendly fire![p]In Summary:[p]Pizza dough came out of the new kitchen Aid stand mixer very well.
Roll and prep to throw it on the egg went fair.[p]My set up went, plate setter, pizza stone set on my spare feet, egg @ 500*, Threw the dough on and waited....waited a little more and the top was browning, went to pull it off to top and the bottom was mush and stuck! Scraped it off went back to the drawing board, rolled out some more dough, removed pizza stone, placed dough on a perforated tart like pan directly on top of plate setter. This time things went much better but not perfect.[p]So as most people yell in here ..... HELP![p]Thoughts, comments and straight up harrasment apprectiated.[p]Out.

Comments

• Colonel Pork Butt,
    On the first attempt did you use cornmeal on the peel which would then transfer to the pizza stone?[p]Rob

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,
    for direct on the stone, you need to sprinkle it on stone just before placing the pizza on. if you are transferring it fro a pizza peel (big paddle), it needs cornmeal under it as well. that'll keep it from sticking.[p]if you do it in a tart p[an, you might find that a little pre-cook for the dough works well. we do 'thin crust' pizza this way. precook the dough, flip it even, then bring it in and put on the toppings. then put it back on. just don't fully cook the dough when you pre-cook.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    boy, i'm a stooge. is that reply i made even understandable?[p]
    i mean, cornmeal goes on the stone. and it also needs to go on the peel. sheesh. ..and NO, todd/backer/dos Huevos, I haven't had three beers this morning.[p]as far as precooking, it just allows you to firm up the crust, brown it a bit, so that the damp dough doesn't lodge in the holes of the perforated pan, especially under the weight of alot of toppings, veggie juices, etc.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,[p]Lose the feet,place the stone directly on the placesetter and kick the temp up to 550.[p]Works for me.[p]Big T

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,
    I second (third, fourth, what ever) the corn meal on the stone and peel. Not sure if the circumstances are identical, but the one time this happened to me the wife had doubled the dough recipe, but quadrupled the water. And, of course, this was the one time we were "showing off" for the In-Laws.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,[p] The BGE is identical in results to the brick oven. I know they make very good pizza, but I've had similar results, and I make a lot of homemade pizza. I've just got to get the consistent results before I invite folks over for it![p] My first pizza outting was identical to yours. The top looked perfect and delicious, but when I tried to slip the peel under it to remove it I left about 60% of the crust! Ha!
    Since I've realized that I forgot the cornmeal on the stone! Also, a slightly drier dough and minimal toppings which make their own juice are highly advised! Let the egg come up to 550º or 600º then dust the top with cornmeal and immediately get the pizza on there. Close the lid and view progress throught he top vent. Jut don't burn your eyeball out of the socket!
    My last only took about 4~6 minutes to cook and was perfect with only a few small charred areas on the bottom crust! Delicious!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,[p]Your pizza stone you cooked the pizza on was way too cool. Placw the pizza stone directly on the plate setter and heat it very well before using, 15-20 minutes at cooking temperature. I have never needed anything on the pizza stone to prevent sticking as the crust always crusts over nicely on the bottom. A much hotter pizza stone is your answer.[p]Spin
  • Colonel Pork Butt
    Options
    Cornmeal, hot pizza stone![p]Awesome, back to the drawing board. Well at least the grocery store for some cornmeal![p]Cheers!
    Greg

• Colonel Pork Butt,[p]
    Two Other Tips 1. Build that Pizza on a piece of Parchment Paper and put the paper and Pizza directly on the stone. After 8 minutes or so yank the paper off and finish the crust (or you can leave it on). 2. Make sure that as soon as you dress the Pizza (Olive Oil or Tomato sauce, and toppings) you put it on the Stone. This prevents the crust from absorbing too much moisture.[p]The other comment about the stone being heated is right on as well - Make sure the stone (not just the egg) is between 425 and 500.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,
    Here's a link to my pizza hints and tips page. Your biggest problem sounds like you didn't preheat the stone. You don't need anything on the stone if it is hot like it should be. Good luck on the next batch!
    TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Colonel Pork Butt, I Always use Corn meal on the peal and then the stone right before sliding the pizza on it. I have found that most prefer white corn meal to yellow.

• vettes2
    vettes2 Posts: 50
    Options
    I used to use corn meal. Panko Bread crumbs do a better job of blending in and crisping the bottom of the crust. They aren't noticeable.
  • Mik of Alaska
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,
    Spin and TNW were right on! You didn't heat your stone did you?? That's the only reason for the bottom to be not cooked. Loose the feet and heat the stone right from the git go. Don't rush things and it will work like a charm. Mik