Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade sauce for ribs

Options
Okay, people. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. :)
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Please don't tell @Eggcelsior that... [-X
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Pole smokers unite!
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Er, perhaps I should have said "For those of you have them, would you be most kind to share your favorite homemade sauce for ribs". 8-|
    Sandy
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    This is my favorite:

J.K.'S WILD BOAR SOUL BBQ SAUCE

Mike Flaherty - March 30, 2001

From Ron Pratt

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components. 

This is half a recipe, and makes 2 quarts.

Mix in big pot over low heat:

1/6 cup salt (2-1/2 Tbsp.)

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar, heaping

1 cup beef bouillon strong (RRP here…I use a cup of Swanson Beef Broth plus 1 Wyler’s Beef bouillon cube)

6 cups water

When sugars dissolve, add:

1 cup yellow mustard

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup Wright’s Liquid Smoke. Yes, that's right!  (or add slowly to your liking)

1 cup Worcestershire sauce

3 (6-oz.) cans tomato paste

2 Tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet to darken

Add chile powder (the real thing), cayenne, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby Szechuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not-too-hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno. (RRP here…I just use 1 teaspoon of chipotle powder and 2 Tbsp. of Mexene blend chile powder.) 

Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken. (RRP here…my experience is it never reduces that much, but more like 1”. Just be sure to stir from time to time! ). It will thicken as it cools.

RRP here…I have been making this as our house sauce for 12 years now and we just love it. I have found that it will freeze nicely though it will never be rock hard, So rather than to try to further cut this recipe in half just trust me that you’ll like it, but if not you’ll find friends who do.

Judy in San Diego
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is fairly complex recipe for a sauce but worth it if you have time:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Going to cheat- the best I have found is a 50/50 blend of blue hog and bone suckin sauce

Sorry know it's not homemade but it just works.
    Greensboro, NC
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Guava BBQ Sauce Ingredients
    1 cup cold water
    1 cup guava paste
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup dark rum or bourbon
    2 lemons juiced
    2 tablespoons dried onion
    1 tablespoon grated ginger
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons grated garlic
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon molasses
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1-2 jalapenos minced
    1 tablespoon each freshly ground fennel seed, anise, coriander, mustard seed
    (optional) 1 tablespoon tomato paste, wait till end to decide
    Crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    Add all of the ingredients except for the salt/pepper in a saucepan.
    Bring mixture to a boil while whisking constantly.
    Let simmer for 15-20 minutes to thicken.
    Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
    Dunedin, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've come across a couple of old recipes that were really simple, and based on butter. I've tried fancier mixtures, but I did one recently that worked pretty well on ribs.

I just tossed it together, and didn't make any careful measurements. Here's what I put together, more or less.

3 Tbl. butter.
    Louisiana hot sauce, maybe 2 teaspoons
    Honey, about a tsp.
    Some fresh ground black pepper
    garlic granules
    mustard powder, maybe a tsp
    a dash of ginger to suit my own taste.

Melted it all together. Could not get it to emulsify very well. Suppose a bit less butter and a little more mustard might have helped that. Probably should have added a little more vinegar or some other acid.

Brushed it on the ribs about 5 minutes before serving. It was quite savory, and picked up flavor from the rub, which was 50-50 mix of Dizzy Dust and Tasty Licks Ribit.
  • yzzi
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I typically don't do the tomato paste and I add a little fish sauce too. I throw in whatever I have and omit what I don't have on hand.
    Dunedin, FL
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Going to cheat- the best I have found is a 50/50 blend of blue hog and bone suckin sauce Sorry know it's not homemade but it just works.

I wouldn't call that cheating and it's probably delicious. I've just found that most prepared sauces include ingredients that I'd rather not include in our diet. I know there's no way to avoid them when we eat out (and we DO eat out), so I try my best to limit them at home. Hence, my attempts at sauce making.
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    yzzi said:
    I forgot to mention that I typically don't do the tomato paste and I add a little fish sauce too. I throw in whatever I have and omit what I don't have on hand.

@yzzi That looks really interesting. I tend to sneak a bit of fish sauce in my savory dishes as well. Where do you find guava paste?
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I've come across a couple of old recipes that were really simple, and based on butter. I've tried fancier mixtures, but I did one recently that worked pretty well on ribs.

I just tossed it together, and didn't make any careful measurements. Here's what I put together, more or less.

3 Tbl. butter.
    Louisiana hot sauce, maybe 2 teaspoons
    Honey, about a tsp.
    Some fresh ground black pepper
    garlic granules
    mustard powder, maybe a tsp
    a dash of ginger to suit my own taste.

Melted it all together. Could not get it to emulsify very well. Suppose a bit less butter and a little more mustard might have helped that. Probably should have added a little more vinegar or some other acid.

Brushed it on the ribs about 5 minutes before serving. It was quite savory, and picked up flavor from the rub, which was 50-50 mix of Dizzy Dust and Tasty Licks Ribit.

That looks like what I typically tend to do. Sometimes I'll sub out the honey with either brown sugar or agave. Sometimes I add a bit of ketchup or tomato paste. I've never done ginger - it's not one of my favorite flavors unless it's in ginger ale. Does it bring a strong presence to the sauce or is it more of a background note?
    Sandy
  • yzzi
    Options
    I get it in the ethnic isle at the grocery store. Usually comes in either a can or a plastic block.
    Dunedin, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    gdenby said:

I just tossed it together, and didn't make any careful measurements. Here's what I put together, more or less...
    It seemed to me there was a hint of citrus in the rub mix I used. For me, a little ginger seems to amplify citrus. I do like ginger, but in this case, it was just a tiny bit for a hint of the flavor.

There are several things that I use in similar quantity. Clove is the strongest for me, takes only a tiny amount to be noticeable. Also, a little cinnamon or allspice goes a long way.

A hint of those makes a standard flavor a little more interesting.