Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In Search of a Baked Beans Recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a real good Baked Beans recipe to be
cooked on the EGG.
Does anyone have a good recipe?
Thanks.

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    JohnR,
    Try this one :[p]Montgomery Inn Baked Beans
    from the Kitchen of Matula Gregory[p] • 1/3 cup yellow onions, chopped
    • 3 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
    • 2 slices bacon - whole
    • 1 cup Montgomery Inn Barbecue Sauce
    • 1 - 28 ounce can pork and beans
    • 1/3 cup brown sugar
    • 2/3 tsp. dry English mustard (we recommend Coleman's)[p]Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Prepare a 2 quart baking dish with a non-stick baking spray.
    Sauté onion and bacon pieces in a skillet for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
    Combine onion mixture, Montgomery Inn Barbecue Sauce, brown sugar, and dry mustard with the beans and liquid from the beans. Stir well until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
    Pour bean mixture into the baking dish.
    Place 2 remaining strips of bacon on top of the beans.
    Bake UNCOVERED in the pre-heated oven for approximately 1 hour.
    Serves four to six people.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    JohnR, here is one that has gotten good reviews.[p]Marv's Marvlus Smoked baked Beans

This will feed approx. 20-25 people, so you will have to adjust amounts for your own needs. Great for a party pleaser. Left-overs are great cold or hot. [p]Ingredients:
    1 gal pork & beans (drained)
    1/2 lb BBQ'd shredded pork or brisket
    4 oz canned chopped green chilies (one can)
    1/4 cup dried onion (helps soak up liquid) (can use fresh, increase to 3/4 cup)
    1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce
    2 cup catsup
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (does not make it spicy, just picks up the flavor)
    3/4 cup honey
    3/4 cup worchestershire sauce
    3/4 cup brown sugar

Preparation Directions:
    1 Mix all ingredients and pour into a kettle, or Dutch Oven if you have one.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Heat uncovered @ 275-300 grate temp.,indirect, with a couple of chunks of your favorite wood for flavor, for 3-4 hours or until liquid decreases to desired consistancy. I like mine on the drier side, more like Boston baked beans. Do not stir during cooking. When done, they will appear dark on the surface. This is the smoke laying on top. Stir to mix smoke into beans and serve hot.
    Special Instructions:
    1 My customers seem to like more 'smoky' beans,
    2 but you can adjust wood smoke to you liking.

Author: Marv (Marv's Marvlus Pit Bar-B-Q marvsbbq@marvsbbq.com[p]Web page: http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/sides0255.htm

[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    JohnR:[p]I did this recipe recently and a bunch of food knowledgeable kids gave it the thumbs up. I think its success is due to the optional items which I encourage you to add based on your tastes.
    [ul][li]The Millers Bean Recipe[/ul]
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    JohnR,
    Car wash Mike's are some of the best I've ever had. Maybe he'll post his recipe.[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    JohnR,
    BBQ U has a really good recipe on their site. I has a mixture of baked, kidney and black beans. i made it at the westminster comp last year and everyone seemed to like it.