Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Oktoberfest BGE Food...

Options
...that would serve a crowd!  AND, preferably be cooked a day ahead?

I have an annual large gathering in mid October.  It takes me a while to setup and the main fare at this event is oysters.   However, I always have another meat available but know from experience I don't have time during the day of the party to tend to another chore.   I usually either make something ahead like pork BBQ, gumbo or grill some brats/dogs the day of the event (I usually delegate that to the first guest to arrive).   But this is my first year with the egg!

I was trying to think of something that will hold the characteristic charcoal and smoke flavor that the egg brings, but I could make ahead.   Something I could then throw in a couple large crock pots the next morning on low and forget about.

Anything come to mind?  Finger food is fine, I'd just need a lot of it.  So it can't be anything I have to assemble like bacon wrapped tidbits and stuffed jalepenos.

I'm leaning towards more pork, brisket or wings.

I was thinking also of a huge serving of brats that I brown the day before and then warm up the day of.

I'm open to all suggestions!  Most folks know I have gotten the egg so it'd be nice to highlight some food off of it.  :-bd
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if your looking for octoberfest ideas, kraut and sausages for the slow cooker, pretzel bites reheated in the egg or oven
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What fish said. IT's Oktoberfest, so do that kind of food. Bratwurst, sauerkraut, german potato salad, etc. An alternative would be seasoning a shoulder with bratwurst seasoning and putting it on a pretzel bun with kraut instead of cole slaw and german-style mustard. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited September 2014
    Options
    LONEY!!! Cut in bite size cubes after cook. I use pretzel sticks instead of toothpicks.  
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options

Brats for sure

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    On a lighter note-Oktoberfest beer.  Should satisfy all your constraints :)   Sounds like a great time will be had by all. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    sauerbraten could probably be done in a dutch and warmed in a crock, always wanted to try that, bet it would make a great sandwich too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited September 2014
    Options
    sauerbraten could probably be done in a dutch and warmed in a crock, always wanted to try that, bet it would make a great sandwich too

Compliments of Wiser One, Bill Wise

Beef, Roast, Rump. Sauerbraten Mit Ingwer Kuchen Sosse, Saurebraten & Gingersnap Gravy

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs rump roast; beef, boneless
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    2 onions, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    8 peppercorns
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 cloves , whole
    2 cups water, boiling
    1 bay leaf
    10 gingersnaps
    1 cup white vinegar, mild
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 cup water
    1 Tbs unbleached flour

Procedure:

1. Place the beef roast in a deep ceramic or glass bowl. Add onions, peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf. Pour white vinegar and cider vinegar over the meat; chill, covered, for 4 days. Turn meat twice each day. Remove the meat from the marinade, dry it well with paper towels, and strain the marinade into a bowl. Reserve onions and 1 cup marinade.

2. In a Dutch oven brown the meat on all sides in hot vegetable oil. Sprinkle meat with salt. Pour boiling water around the meat. sprinkle in crushed gingersnaps, and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours. Turn often. Add 1 cup of reserved marinade and cook meat 2 hours or more, until tender. Remove the meat and keep it warm. Strain the cooking juices into a large saucepan.

3. In a small bowl mix sour cream with flour. Stir it into the cooking juices and cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened and smooth. Slice meat in 1/4 inch slices; add to hot gravy. Arrange meat on a heated platter and pour extra sauce over it.

Servings: 10

Recipe Type: Beef, Main Dish

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 2007/09/23

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

German oysters are amazing!  Haha.  Brats are probably the easiets to get.  One thing I'd add is the type of rolls to use. Note sure where you live but try to avoid hot dog rolls if you can.  At Publix, they have Chicago hard rolls which are about as close to German Broethchen as you can find down here.  Also make sure and find goos mustard.  The best German stuff comes out of a tube.  Strange but true. 

Schnitzel is also great but hard to make for a large group and hard to make on the egg.

Like @subloucap mentioned, the beer is the main effort here.  Germans don't go too crazy on food believe it or not.  Those big bellys are from years and years of drinking the hops and barley.

Come to think of it, Another great idea might be Bratkartoffel.  Thats this potato slcies cooked in copius amounts of butter and onions.  I like mine a little charred but can't go wrong. If you can get some duck fat, this is especially good with potatos or is it potatoes?  Either way can't go wrong.

What about Frickadella?  That's a north Germany / Dutch thing.  Kinda like small hamburger patties or flattened out meatballs but add lots of rough diced veggies in the meat: onions, celery, bell peppers, etc.  Grill like you would a hamburger ane serve w toothpicks, pretzels.

I'd also recommend getting a replica of the World Cup trophy since the Germans are the regining Weldmeister (World Champs)

Just some ideas.  Sounds like you'll have a blast no matter what.  Enjoy.     

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Oyster Oktoberfest? That's an idea I could buy in to! Sausages seem easy. You could even cook them indirect a few hours early with some smoke for a bit then cut them in half and toss them in a Dutch oven with sauerkraut and a little beer. Let your guests see and smell what a great cooker the egg is!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Don't you hate when you write a detailed reply and it doesn't post?  (and doesn't save to drafts?!?)

Anyway, somewhere out in the internet ether is a pointed reply to just about everybody above.  Great tips, thanks!

The Oktoberfest Oyster Roast will be better for it.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Can't wait to see the end result.

On a related note I had the best oysters Rockefeller while visiting Jackson MS a few days ago at a place called parlor market. Ive never made them but seems like a good application for the egg.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    edited September 2014
    Options
    German pork knuckles image
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Pork knuckles.   Now that's an interesting cook! 
    LOL
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @chainsaw19 Pork knuckle, I'm in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • chainsaw19
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Pork knuckles.   Now that's an interesting cook! 
    LOL

Had several on my trips to Germany and love them, and that sauce. Here is more info if you are so inclined to give it a go http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/recipes/Schweinshaxe/Schweishaxe2/index.htm
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mmm...pork knuckles. Been wanting to do those since I went to Germany. Not had luck finding them, though. Found a restaurant that served them in Plano but they weren't as good as the one I had in Germany. Someday, I will find them and I'll figure out how to Egg them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings