Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what to do with cayanne peppers?

Options
bought what I thought was a green pepper plant but turned out to be a cayenne pepper plant. what are some good recipes/ways to prepare food using these?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I sometimes dry them and then crush.  Also like to split in half or little rings and place in closed jar with apple cider vinegar. let set for a week or so.  Not necessary to refrigerate.  To this mixture I will add some garlic, some sugar and fish sauce and make a Thai condiment. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Fresh cayennes are great to dice or mince up and put on pizza, sandwich, chili, or into a sauce to give it aome pepper flavor and heat.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Dry them out on a needle and thread, hanging in the kitchen window.  They are a thin-walled pepper, so they dry very easily without rotting.  When dry toss them in a glass jar and keep them on a shelf, they last a long time.
    I just take a few, and grind them up in a coffee grinder (not my wife's!)  and sprinkle them on food like pizza, eggs, taters, etc,
    When making a pot of chili, I break up 2 or 3 depending on who else will be eating it, and toss them into the pot.
    Great condiment!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cut, rub the seeds and membrane out, dice......and go pee or pleasure yourself. >:)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    henapple said:

Cut, rub the seeds and membrane out, dice......and go pee or pleasure yourself. >:)

A "Peppers... How I do it" thread would probably beat out Travis' brisket thread view count pretty quickly.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    henapple said:
    um...no   don't want to even think about what that would feel like
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited August 2014
    Options

Send em my way. :D

You are then welcome to come over and eat whatever I make with it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Aviator‌ ...you're alive?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I dry them and make crush red peppers.  I keep about 3/4 of the seeds when I do.  I just put them in a coffee bean grinder and then in into a spice jar. 

Be sure to do a good job when cleaning out the grinder when it's done.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.