Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast...stall at 158 - seriously?

Options
Frustrated! Been bopping along just fine all afternoon. Turkey breast, raised indirect at about 250. Making steady progress all afternoon. Now when time is running short for me to get dinner on the table I seem to have hit a stall. Grrrrr...
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    158 is time to pull it. What were you shooting for?
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Pull it!!
    Dunedin, FL
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Was shooting for 160. I did pull it shortly after my post. Before I did, i adjusted the probe and the temp actually went down. I opened up a bit but had to pull it about 20 minutes later. It seemed overdone to me. My husband reminded me that I hadn't brined this breast. First time I haven't brined. Coincidence?
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    How did it turn out?

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Never heard of a turkey stall, were you maybe running out of lump in the Egg?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• yzzi
    Options
    I usually pull poultry somewheres in the 150s and let the carry over do it's thang. I'm still living.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I cook turkey breast at 350-400 and pull like @yzzi said somewhere in the 150's and let it carry over. Most poultry doesn't have enough fat to justify a slow n low cook style unless you are really just trying to pour the smoke to it or want more adult beverage time. IMHO

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • itsmce
    Options
    @beteez‌ - I thought it was a bit dry. Know we'll enjoy many great sandwiches with the leftovers.
    @Botch‌ - I checked the egg after returning from an evening outing. Lots of lump left.
    @Mattman3969‌ - the last time I did a turkey breast I did approximately the same thing but I had brined it. Yes, I was hoping for a good smoked flavor and I think I failed there too. Used peach, which I think was fine, just not enough of it. Next time I do this, I'll go back to brining and I guess I'll go back to higher temps. My husband loves turkey so he won't mind me trying again in a few weeks.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The brine seems to make it soak up the smoke more as well.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I like peach but have found a mixture of pecan and sugar maple to very,very good on bone in turkey breast

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yzzi
    Options
    I always throw in a bit of cherry with poultry. It's mild and sweet and adds good color.
    Dunedin, FL
  • itsmce
    Options
    The peach came from my little peach tree that had a bit of dead wood this spring. I need to start buying a variety of woods, I guess.