Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie's First Salmon

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Thanks @tksmoke. For some reason I feel like I don't have salmon dialed in as well as my other cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    On most fish I use albumin as a guide. As it oozes out the sides it is almost there. Or if you're not confident or don't cook much fish I would go w/ 120℉-132℉ish which will allow for some carry over cooking to occur. I rarely do the IT thing on fish, shrimp, lobster (seafood in general) or steak (mostly feel). I check IT on: Poultry (except for wangs & drums---because they tend to go past the IT guideline), all pork (except for ribs and I use the bend & toothpick test), brisket always and the TP probe will help for feel/ like buttuh (+ it'll jiggle real nice when it's "there").
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Love egged salmon.  I could eat it almost every day, but SWMBO is kind of tired of it.  If you want a good deal on planks, go to outdoorgourmet.com.  They sell planks for about $1 each when you buy in bulk.  Can't take credit for this, somebody on this site told us about them awhile back.   I'll use them once and then chop them up and use them like wood chips.  Alder is my personal favorite.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    This is the style of rack we use for fish:
    http://tinyurl.com/nhtasvx

If you order it, make sure you check the measurements since I didn't buy this exact model, but the style is the same.

The fish goes in and we put some lemon slices and onions in a few places on both sides.  We sprinkle with lemon pepper rub and put on the grill top which holds everything together.  If the fish doesn't fit, we just fold it - doesn't cause any problems with the cooking.

We generally cook to about 150 since we don't like fish that is raw or too squishy.  At 150 it is still very moist and tastes great. 

We generally buy the fresh Salmon at Costco or Restaurant Depot.

We invite people over and can socialize at home for as long as we want and eat Salmon that is far better than any restaurant.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I cook my salmon on the weber grilling tray or a cast iron grill. Also cook veggies, shrimp and scallops on it. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    Love those gadgets...@GrannyX4 -- looks good as does the @Shiff gadget.  Since I am a gadget lover...you guys are tempting me with all kinds of  stuff.  I'll have to have a huge cabinet outside to store all this stuff.  I'm already trying to figure out how to store the plate setter that I forget to put back in the Egg every night.  I'm afraid if it rains and gets too wet, it might crack.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Love those gadgets...@GrannyX4 -- looks good as does the @Shiff gadget.  Since I am a gadget lover...you guys are tempting me with all kinds of  stuff.  I'll have to have a huge cabinet outside to store all this stuff.  I'm already trying to figure out how to store the plate setter that I forget to put back in the Egg every night.  I'm afraid if it rains and gets too wet, it might crack.

The weber tray is the least expensive of the new toys for the egg and they seem to be endless. I forgot to add I also cook my meatloaf and meat balls on it too. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !