Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter just quit.

Options
Fan motor no longer works. Was lighting the egg, it made a small pop and stopped working. Heating element still works but won't light egg without fan blowing. Sent the company an email. Will update if/when I hear something.
Austin, TX

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Time to get a mapp torch !
    Toronto
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Interesting but sorry to hear that.  I have only had my Looflighter since late spring - so please keep us posted with their response.   
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I don't have a dog in this fight. But, what is the actual warranty period on one of these (1 yr)? If iit's out of warranty +1 on the MAPP torch.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NDG
    Options
    Good Q but I am not sure . . . all I know is the Looftlighter has the look of a quality piece of equipment & passes the "quality feel test" as well.  I guess we will see how their service is . . which says a lot about the company.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I own a looftlighter, and it has been very reliable.  It is reliably sitting in the bottom of my Q chest, as all I use anymore is the MAPP weed torch.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • NDG
    Options
    HA - well that sounds like a sarcastic +2 for the MAPP weed torch.
    Columbus, OH

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Mine quit just after warranty went out.A mapp torch is a better option.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Time to start using paper towel and vegetable oil. Never burns out, and cost is nothing.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Randy1 said:
    Mine quit just after warranty went out.A mapp torch is a better option.
    Heard this many times. Way too many.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have been using paper towels and Coconut oil from Trader Joes.  May not be the cheapest oil, but it burns hot so a little dab will do you.  It is also not too messy because it is semi-solid.  I have a MAP torch as well but ran out of gas.  The CC oil/napkins are working so well I'm not sure I'm going to get a new canister any time soon.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    He helps my brother is a propane deleveryman... I have plenty of propane.   However, the grill bottle I have has lasted me over a year and is still plenty full.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    He helps my brother is a propane deleveryman... I have plenty of propane.   However, the grill bottle I have has lasted me over a year and is still plenty full.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Haha... We call him "Hank" all the time...
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My switch stopped working after 2 years of 5 days per week, worth every penny, bought a new one....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Be sure to keep your Looftlighter in the house out of the humidity. Will last much longer....maybe.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Williams-Sonoma has the Looftlighter on sale for $56 with free shipping.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Bobbareeno
    Bobbareeno Posts: 40
    Options
    Mine was out of warranty but I sent them an email anyway. I got a great reply from a lady in their customer service department who told me to take it back to where I bought it with a copy of her email stating they would pay for a replacement. I had purchased off of Amazon and told her that in a reply. She wrote me back again and said Amazon was "tricky" and rather than dealing with them she would just send me a new looftlighter. Two days later I had a UPS package with a brand new unit. Amazing service in my book. I'd write them before I went out and purchased anything. Just my two cents,

Bob
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I just got a Looftlighter from Williams-Sonoma. Like it so far. Also on my 2nd BGE electric starter, also like that, as well as a small propane torch. I don't know if its OCD, or I just want to have a backup in case one breaks or the power goes out. In addition to oil and paper towels.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Those looflighters bust all the time. The question is not a matter of if, it's when. The mapp is faster and cheaper.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    Options
    Their response:
    We are sorry that your looftlighter have stopped working and there is no way of repairing it I’m afraid.

But we have a 2 year warranty on it so I would recommend you to return it to the shop where you bought it and return it for a new one.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,

Erika Holst
    Office Manager
    Looft Industries AB
    Dalénum 7
    181 70 Lidingö
    Sweden
    Austin, TX
  • Bobbareeno
    Bobbareeno Posts: 40
    Options
    That's exactly who sent me the reply.... Erika. She was very easy to work with and I had my replacement very fast. Good luck

Bob