Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling with the XL

Options
Going to be picking up my first egg next weekend. It's a demo egg so it will be hot or to warm to touch if imagine when I get it. Kind of worried about the rattling even with it strapped down in the bed of my truck.
Does anyone recommended taking out the firebox to travel? Anything else I should worry about during the hour and a half drive home?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2014
    Options
    It should not be hot or very warm. They should shovel our the lump and in a very short time you can lay on it. Always able to run a hose on it. No problem with the firebox. I travel with my Larges and never take apart, think most people do that I know.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    *Putting it out there first that I am not speaking from personal experience*

I watched one of those bbq comp tv shows and there was girl who used BGE, got to the comp and found that two of her fire boxes were destroyed in transit.  She had them secured in a trailer.  Im not sure, maybe it was her S#!*y driving but I would not take the chance because I don't think I could take losing my egg for even a day, lol.  Seems like very little effort to just take apart and wrap with a towel or blanket.

Just my $0.02
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I've got a demo egg and tossed her in the back of the Explorer and strapped it down like a madman. Yes, she was a little warm, but tolerable. If the roads are bad or very hilly/ curvy, put a towel or two inside and put the box and ring back inside.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options

I always pull the guts out of mine and put them in a cardboard box separately. I also remove the cap/DW and run a strap from the top vent down through the bottom vent to keep the dome from bouncing on the base if I do hit a bad bump. I know I'm anal but I don't take chances with my eggs.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I've done it a few times and I always pull the guts out and put inside the truck.  The outer shell gets strapped into the corner of the bed of the truck.  No problems.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options

If your truck has a little bounce to it, I would take the guts out at least. I brought mine home in a trailer and it did not like it one bit.

Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'll just put in some wood shims to hold everything tight.  No problems yet.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I'll just put in some wood shims to hold everything tight.  No problems yet.
    +1
    Large, small, and a mini
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    I take the guts outimage
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    When I have transported, I pull out the guts and put cardboard under the firebox and then put cardboard strips along the sides and between the fire box and fire ring. I have also taken out all the parts and wrapped in blankets a time or two in the past. I feel safer with all the parts in the egg with the cardboard for cushioning and stability. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have taken 1000 mile trips with the mini or small in the trunk of my honda with no issues. At one point I was being lazy after camping and the mini spent like a week or 2 in my trunk going everywhere I went and no precautions were taken. Never any issues. I would think an xl would travel even better due to the weight of its components keeping them in place. Last year we had to bring our own eggs to egging in the mountains to cook and we had 2 larges, 2 smalls, and 2 minis in the back of a dodge ram through the mountains and everything made it fine.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    When I brought my XL home I took it apart just to make it lighter and easier to move. It's no big deal to loosen the top band and take the dome off and then pull out the innards. Just my opinion.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Pulled the fire box, fire grate, cooking grid and fire ring to make the medium easier to lift.  You don't need to take the dome off to get the internal parts out.  The XL will still be fairly heavy.  I had help moving mine.image
    Santa Paula, CA
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I brought mine home in one piece and then took it apart when I got back and my helper stood me up. The XL dome comes off pretty easily, take spring off hing on both sides, remove through bolt on both sides and lift it off. By taking the hing apart you have no band or alignment issues. I'm a decent sized guy in my forties and once it's apart was able to move it by myself and then reassemble it. I he e done so twice with no over or underbite issues with the dome.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    when i have moved my xl i took the guts out to lift it into the truck and then placed a layer of bubble wrap inside and started putting the pieces back in with bubble wrap between each layer.  no issues.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @tksmoke  - a plane, seriously?!  Dude you are my hero!