Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New warranty replacement dome coming & I have a few questions

Options
BGE is replacing my dome since it had a piece of the green glaze pop off. Supposedly the dome will come with the gasket installed so all I need to do is replace the damaged one with the new one. I have a few questions.

1) Has there ever been anything documented that shows a step-by-step on replacing the dome. If so, I would really appreciate a link or narrative on the best way to do this.

2) Band bolts - I need to replace mine. Can I buy them at Lowe's or Home Depot as long as they are the same size? Is there anything special about these bolts?

3) When I tighten the band bolts, what should they be torqued to? Is it possible to over tighten and break the bolts or shatter the dome?

Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options

Try this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6k5sN6jYLU  Don't know how well it will help, but here it is.

You should crank on the bolts until they bend.  You pretty much can't over torque it.

Kemah, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    The bolts are hardness Grade 5. You need harder bolts than your standard Grade 2-3 galvanized that is carried most places. You also need to make sure that they are full thread instead of partial thread.

I recently tried to find some locally at the home improvement stores, hardware stores, and even Fastenall. I couldn't find any Grade 5 carriage style with full thread so I ended up going to the BGE dealer and picking up a band hardware kit. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You may be able to use the same bolts.  The simple method: just loosen, remove old dome, set new dome in place and re-tighten. 

I recently added the side tables which required removing the lower band, installing the table bolts and reinstalling without changing the bolts.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Grade 5 or better.

Grade 2
    Grade 2 is a standard hardware grade steel. This is the most common grade of steel fastener and is the least expensive. Grade 2 bolts have no head marking (sometimes a manufacturer mark is present).

Grade 5
    Grade 5 bolts are hardened to increase strength and are the most common bolts found in automotive applications. Grade 5 bolts have 3 evenly spaced radial lines on the head.

Grade 8
    Grade 8 bolts have been hardened more than grade 5 bolts. Thus they are stronger and are used in demanding applications such as automotive suspensions. Grade 8 bolts have 6 evenly spaced radial lines on the head.

Options
    @EggHead_Bubba‌ ....Where Are You Located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    The bolts are hardness Grade 5. You need harder bolts than your standard Grade 2-3 galvanized that is carried most places. You also need to make sure that they are full thread instead of partial thread.

I recently tried to find some locally at the home improvement stores, hardware stores, and even Fastenall. I couldn't find any Grade 5 carriage style with full thread so I ended up going to the BGE dealer and picking up a band hardware kit. 
    Good to know... I'll call around and see if I can find some.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Torque to 10 ft lbs.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    You may be able to use the same bolts.  The simple method: just loosen, remove old dome, set new dome in place and re-tighten. 

I recently added the side tables which required removing the lower band, installing the table bolts and reinstalling without changing the bolts.
    You mention to just loosen the bolts and lift out the dome to change it out. Don't I need to zit-tie the hinge before doing this?

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    henapple said:
    Knoxville... born and raised in Nashville.

• jllbms
    Options
    Yes, secure the bands before loosening. ...... Boing!!!
    Kemah, TX
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Grade 5 or better.

Grade 2
    Grade 2 is a standard hardware grade steel. This is the most common grade of steel fastener and is the least expensive. Grade 2 bolts have no head marking (sometimes a manufacturer mark is present).

Grade 5
    Grade 5 bolts are hardened to increase strength and are the most common bolts found in automotive applications. Grade 5 bolts have 3 evenly spaced radial lines on the head.

Grade 8
    Grade 8 bolts have been hardened more than grade 5 bolts. Thus they are stronger and are used in demanding applications such as automotive suspensions. Grade 8 bolts have 6 evenly spaced radial lines on the head.

Thanks for the info on grading, never knew that.

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    jllbms said:
    Yes, secure the bands before loosening. ...... Boing!!!
    Any pictures that show the exact location where to place the ties? Thanks

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    minniemoh said:

Good to know... I'll call around and see if I can find some.
    Turns out Lowe's carries grade 5 bolts that are hex head but not carriage bolts. Would those work?

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    jllbms said:
    Thanks, it's kinda hard to tell exactly how that wire is tied. Looks like it runs across from one side to the other. Would have thought you would secure each side separately.

• jllbms
    Options
    I did mine and secured each side separately, using very large cable ties. That works.
    Kemah, TX
  • Durangler
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I'd stick with carriage bolts as the square neck will fit in the square hole and not spin while torquing. But hex bolts would work, I'd think.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Durangler said:
    I'd stick with carriage bolts as the square neck will fit in the square hole and not spin while torquing. But hex bolts would work, I'd think.
    Lowe's didn't have grade 5 carriage bolts. I'll try Home Depot tomorrow and see what they have. Thanks

• Durangler
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I think both Big Box Home Stores carry stainless steel, but not sure of the grade.
    Experts chime in on the SS option, Please!
    Good luck with your search.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stainless steel is no stronger than grade 3.
    Options

henapple said:
    I knew you guys were OK! See my avi. I grew up in ET, went to UT, and live in Sarasota, FL now.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Any good auto shops around????  They might have them!  Might be the same as Lowes, not the carriage-style, but its an option I've used before!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    When I had to replace my dome and bands my dealer gave me this nifty little tool their install crews have to keep the hinge closed. Plastic piece with two holes spaced evenly to put diagonally across the hinge on 2 bokts. I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home. (On the road today and tomorrow)
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    When I had to replace my dome and bands my dealer gave me this nifty little tool their install crews have to keep the hinge closed. Plastic piece with two holes spaced evenly to put diagonally across the hinge on 2 bokts. I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home. (On the road today and tomorrow)
    That would be great. Thanks!

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Unless they've got some special tool (which I doubt), these sound like the shipping/hinge-retainers that come from the factory.  my Large came with two (one on each side of the hinge), good thing I kept them in my toolbox as I've used them quite a few times now.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

henapple said:

The Boro here
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    When I did mine, I didn't zip-tie and didn't have any problems
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    Options
    The traffic was horrible on I-85 yesterday so I detoured past the Mothership  because it was then on my way home. I asked what I needed to do to get somethings replaced under warranty. Since I didn't have the parts with me, they asked if I had pictures. As a matter of fact I did. Within 3 minutes I was walking out with a new under warranty fire ring and fire box. They even carried the boxes out to the truck for me. What great customer service.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Stopped by my local BGE dealer and they gave me two of those white plastic band/spring holders! I think I'm in business now to change out me dome this weekend!

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Well darn, the plastic retainers I picked up from the dealer don't fit over the bolts! What the heck? Going to have to try zip ties and figure out where to put them to keep the spring from unloading.