Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control - elusive

Options
Once again I had issues with temp control on my BGE.  Did a Butt, so not a big deal.  Was hoping to go 225 all day.  Looked good for a couple hours, had it barely cracked open bottom and upper vent.  So I am all set right?  Nope, 3rd hour it goes to almost 300, and there she stays.  Still don't know why.  Hate the idea of having to buy a DigiQ or similar product to control temp, but man this is frustrating.  Seems like my egg doesn't like low temps.
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My first question to you is, are you using a water pan?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

That usually happens to me when I do a butt.  I think as the butt and ceramics all come up to temperature, the internal temp rises because you are no longer heating up everything else.

I've learned to anticipate it a big, and close the vents a little as the temp rises.  I also use it to my advantage and just cook the butts a little hotter - it doesn't hurt anything and they're done quicker.
    NOLA
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    What is barely cracked open?  If it was like the width of a credit card, then it sounds like you have a air leak.  Check the draft door and the gasket.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    If I let a lot of the charcoal get lit, then set my temp I usually don't have too many issues. If I rush it to the target temp I find myself chasing it all afternoon. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    no water pan, 1/8", but I think you are on to the gaskets.  I got new gasket over winter, and haven't put it on yet!  
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yeah i got tired of this and Just bought the digi Q dx.

I did overnights and all without but the first few hours were brutal stabilizing (thinking its locked in ....nope) , and in the end she always crept up.

Have not used it yet but will report results.
    Seattle, WA
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Temp controllers are the way to go.  I put a butt on at 9am this Saturday, and had a full day of errands, trip to the gym, trip to the driving range, etc.  Checked the pit temp once in the middle of the afternoon and it was 251 (set point of 250).  Took it off at 8pm and had a great pulled pork sandwich. To borrow the Ronco phrase:  "You just set it and forget it!"
  • RICHIED777
    RICHIED777 Posts: 91
    Options
    I just saw a Digi DX2 for $350! I thought they were only like $150ish?
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited June 2014
    Options
    A suggestion, take a look at the Pitmaster IQ110 and 120. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    $350?!  Yikes there's other things I can spend that kind of money on.  I can pay my kids $5 an hour for the year to adjust vents as needed and be less than $350. 
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    $350?!  Yikes there's other things I can spend that kind of money on.  I can pay my kids $5 an hour for the year to adjust vents as needed and be less than $350. 
    But a controller is much more reliable than my kids anyway. ;)

The PartyQ is much less expensive as are the IQ110, IQ120, etc. There are several low-frills models out there compared to the DX2, and also some more expensive like the CyberQ and Rocks BBQ Stoker.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Picked mine, bge version @ egg fest the other day $300 including tax.
    Couldn't pass it up.
    $$ u say....this egg game is dangerous. Did I mention a large CGS order is due here Friday.
    I'm done!
    Seattle, WA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

CYBER Q...................SCHMYBER Q.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Check out the Party Q.

Very good control, much less $.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Picked mine, bge version @ egg fest the other day $300 including tax. Couldn't pass it up. $$ u say....this egg game is dangerous. Did I mention a large CGS order is due here Friday. I'm done!

SkinnyV sounds like your just gettin started
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    When I did my first overnight cook, I set egg at 230° and it went up about 35° and pretty much stayed there. I was cooking a brisket and I can't see a reason to buy one yet. I like cooking pork butts turbo style and ribs too. The nice thing the pork butt can be forgiving to hear changes so don't worry to much.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    Buy a PitMaster .... you won't regret it
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Stabilize temp with PS etc, allow creosote to clear, insert cold protein cut into egg, convection temp will drop due to protein temp and at the same time you've just added a $hi+load of O2 so temp will spike. Trick is patience and small adjustments. Dollar bill test will indicate condition of seal between dome and base. This honestly isn't uncommon. Practice and patience. Although I'll say this after getting my Stoker I'm liking it more and more. But, I was able to control temp before I got it as well it is just very precise and accurate allowing me to sleep easier knowing my temp is consistent and knowing my protein temp by just looking at my phone or PC.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Since finding Grandpa Grub's "visual" vent-setting guide....

...I normally use that, and don't even worry about bowl temp; still use a meat thermometer to determine ending time.  "Chasing" the temp had been nothing but frustration for me; no more.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN