Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE official Egg Table Cover

Options
I have a LBGE but, bought the XLBGE cover that's for the long table (because it fits my table the best w/out going into a custom cover). The question is»»» is this cover supposed to be "waterproof"???
For the $$$ I'm disappointed that it does not appear to be. Water constantly bleeds through the top (looks like it is going thru the stitching---& I know beeswax would help but, damn for the money I shouldn't have to do anything but, throw it on).
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I did the same exact thing. I have a large egg with a table I built that is bigger. So I bought an XL cover.Yes, the cover let's water in! I don't like it either! When my cover goes, I will let my egg go comando like everyone else on here! BTW the stitching on them sucks!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I just use the cover to keep the dirt off. Seems to be awful dusty on my back porch. Works for that.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Well that's pointless! Why would I or anybody for that matter pay premium $$$ for a cover that has a pretty logo and does little other than shielding UV rays and dust. Guess I got to either waterproof myself, quit my bitchin or take it back for a full refund. Ugh!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I ponied up the dough solely so I didn't have to worry about finding some other cover, or a custom, or anything else. The price of sloth. . .

Speaking of sloth, I've also seen pride, envy, and gluttony on this forum.

Should we be worried?!? 8-X
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    That's too bad NPH. At least you can still get a refund. I'm shopping around for a cover for my outdoor kitchen. I'll let you know if I find any deals out there.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'm thinking of just getting the spray style tent seam sealer. From my experience in camping even with higher end tents we had to do this to seal out leaks so maybe not such a big whoop. It's either that or have one made. And if it has stitching it'll leak eventually. So it is what it is I guess. Other than that this cover fits very well considering my table is not what it's designed for. There are far more important things to be concerned about. And this can be easily taken care of. It's just aggravating that's all.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited June 2014
    Options
    In my younger days, used to Mountaineer a lot. Even with an expensive, high end, tent and rain fly, you always had to seal the seams to keep it from leaking. Dosen't surprise me your cover came unsealed. Bees wax will make a mess, you don't want. Go to a camping store and get a bottle of seam sealer, easy to apply. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Same cover and same problem here. I sealed the seams with clear silicone caulk. Problem solved. No leaks in 10 months

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    so I understand that the seems allow water thru....but does the actual cover itslef as well?
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @msloan‌ See image. The cover is allowing an abundant amount of rain/water to go thru the top and sides. The bottom shelf that is not covered as you can plainly see is effected only during heavy rain. But, because the cover leaks (badly) it fills the entire table with water. It's just a PITA to dry out every time it rains.
    I'm going to stop at a couple of shops today to find some waterproofing suitable for my application. No worries I'll have it done by weekends time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just my $.02, but if you can take it back I would do that and find another solution. If you have to F with it anyway you might as well find something that is already water proof and perhaps fits better.  You could probably find something that covers that bottom shelf completely to ensure that lump stays dry in wind and rain. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I saw a new water repellent at Home Depot. Rust o leum product maybe.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌ ya I thought about that. And it would be ideal. However, I've got the lump in 3mil contractor cleanup bags now and they stay dry as a bone. A custom cover would run somewhere near the $180-$300 range & that is not something I want to do either. It actually fits pretty tight minus the height for the very bottom of the bottom shelf and I'm good w/ that. The waterproofing stuff will run a max of maybe $20 so I'll have a total into the cover of just under $100. The cover was normally $128 and I got it for $74 after wheeling and dealing and a coupon. Guess I'm bitchin to be bitchin :-).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @grege345‌ ok I'll check that out also. I'm gonna stop at a Army Navy Surplus, Academy Sports, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc figure they'll have some stuff for vinyl similar to tent sealing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    +1 on the tent seam sealer - a tube of it is cheap and has worked fine for me for years. Spray sounds easier, but with the tube stuff you can really see how much you are applying. Besides it's inside the cover and sloppiness doesn't matter!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Again the silicone caulk has worked flawlessly, and I already had it in the shop (and much cheaper than seam sealer). I think the worst leaking was around the rain cap cover where there are the most seams.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Egglovin
    Egglovin Posts: 26
    Options
    You should try going to Lowes and see what they have to offer. I purchased my cover there, for my table, fits nice with plenty of room, and is very heavy duty. Cost me about $40, cant remember the brand off the top of my head.
    Grilling in Ga
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If you can still take it back do so and buy a bottle of Method spray cleaner and a roll of paper towels. Put the rest of the $$$ in some good meat. You don't need no stinking cover.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Take it back, buy a tarp and tie a brick at each corner!  :)) Tres chic!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• NPHuskerFL
    Options

Take it back, buy a tarp and tie a brick at each corner!  :)) Tres chic!

>:) pretty sure SWMBO wouldn't like that decor choice. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Problem solved. Found a few seam sealers but, a lot of them don't recommend use on vinyl. This one did not specify so I called SC Johnson Co and they said this particular one is safe for vinyl or plastic. Just got done spraying it. We'll see how it does on the next gusher. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    When I first started Egging about 7 years ago, I bought a BGE brand cover and it leaked.  I complained to cust. svc. and they sent me a new one that was made of a more durable material.  Other than by the vent, it didn't leak.  That on has since succumed to the weather and  I had to replace it.  The new one I just bought is made like the last one, but it leaks like a sieve.  It boggles the mind why a company that has such a good anchor prodcuts (Eggs) would put out a pricey, sub-standard product like this.