Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Time Trial Results: Gas vs. BGE on Thighs

Options
JohnM
JohnM Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I purchased, assembled, and did a side-by-side comparison of my new Large Big Green Egg vs. my Weber Genisis Silver gas grill. I'm pleased at the results and would like to share them with you.[p]It was a chilly evening for Florida (62 degrees) through the entire test and the meat choosen was 6 chicken thighs (3 for each grill.) Using the temperatures and times recommended in the BGE for whole chicken breasts (300 degrees, 20 min. per side) and the manufacturers' preheat guidelines (300 for BGE, 400 for Weber), I came up with 1 hour 30 minutes for the BGE and 1 hour 5 minutes for the Weber.[p]Both grills produced equally done products with no pink spots left around the joints. As noted in the BGE handbook, the chicken thighs cooked on their grill were noticably more juicy than those cooked on the Weber. However, the skin texture and appearance on the Weber was better; crispy with noticable grill marks as compared to just done with no prominent grill marks.[p]Contrary to instructions and recommendations, I used Walmart brand charcoal brickets started with parafin-sawdust starter (just 1 stick broken into 4 pieces) which might account for the extended preheat time for the BGE.[p]Regarding taste, all thighs were marinated the same and the final product produced by the BGE imparted smokey overtones while the other was completely neutral.[p]Fuel consumption for the BGE was remarkable! While I didn't weigh or count the briquetes I used in the unit before the test (humidity and partially burned briquetes would have made this useless) I would guestimate that less than 10% of the charcoal was consumed. I also didn't weigh the propane tank before and after, but I can say that I ran the burners on high for 75% of the time and at half for the rest.[p]I do believe that I have found a replacement for my gas grill. Now, how to talk my wife into selling it...

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JohnM,[p]The BGE cook book is not a good guide at all. The link below will let you download a very complete one by Bill Wise. In addition to the forum and the recipe collection, many folks have web sites that have excellent tips and recipes. The Dizzy Pig, WessB & The Naked Whiz are just the tip of the iceberg for information.[p]Lump will make a HUGE difference over hockey pucks for your grilling and barbecuing.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Wise One[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    You will like lump charcoal a LOT better.[p]Toy Man
  • JohnM
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the link![p]Yes, I know that hockey-pucks aren't the best. I unfortunately must make room for the good-stuff before I can use it.
  • JohnM,
    Welcome aboard then John![p]I believe both grills have their places and uses. Just not at my house. I'm an Egg man now and forever.[p] The results you arrived at are still a bit stacked in favor of the gas grill though. Using a good quality proper "lump" natural all wood charcoal is the key to the success. It burns hotter, doesn't color the flavor of the cooking meats unless you add smoking chips or chunks, unless of course you select a lump for a specific wood type and flavor.
    The lump lights faster, burns longer, and relights after use easier reducing waste and time consumption.
    The rate at which your fuel burns is very important during a long low and slow cook, and no briquette made can last long enough to cook a large brisket or butt. With the possible exception of Canada's Maple Leaf charcoal which is bound with wheat paste instead of chemical fillers and glue.[p] The Big Green Egg lump is a good quality lump which should be sold at the shop where you bought your egg, another very fine charcoal is the Wicked Good Charcoal Weekend Warrior Blend, or the Competition Blend they also offer. Search online for it or use their retail store finder at www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com[p] I also have had good results with Ozark Oak lump, and Royal Oak is available at WalMart and is very cheap, but it seems to have a lot of dust and small unuseable pieces in the bag for my tastes.[p] To me, a gas grill just doesn't offer the control, flavor or consistent cooking results of a Big Green Egg. That's a pretty bold statement... I've seen some really nice Viking, Weber and Ducane gas grills that cost easily three or four times what my Large BGE did and don't produce nearly as good tasting foods!
    Great study you did, now do it again with a good lump fire started properly and tell us which is more tasty and efficient! We already know, but want to hear your rendition! Eggers love to talk about the egg, as I just proved! lol....

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    David Thomas,[p]when he makes the switch to lump he needs to let it get burning nice and clean before rerunning his test, or that smokey flavor will be more of downright nasty flavor.[p]Scott

• JohnM
    Options
    David Thomas,[p]Thanks David for the reply. Feedback is what I'm looking for and I seem to be getting plenty of good stuff here (already bookmarked the site.)[p]Time trials and results seem to be the only way of justifying to my wife that we only need 1, not 2, cookers. I suppose it goes back to the price we paid for the other equipment, but she is a bit of a "pack rat" so I don't know.[p]I sincerely believe the BGE to be the best means of grilling and smoking due to it's efficiency and durability, not to mention it's proof of design through thousands of years of use. Unfortunately we couldn't afford it and didn't know it existed before we bought the gas grill and box smoker.[p]I've got a hard road ahead to cleaning up my porch of the other cookers. Wish me luck.[p]Thanks,[p]John
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    JohnM,
    It took me almost three years to convince my wife to dump the gasser. The only thing i used it for was keeping the first batch of king crab legs warm while I cooked the next batch on the egg.[p]Finally, itwas given to my son for his use. Talk about a pack rat.
    Dave

• JohnM
    Options
    CampCook,[p]Well, it looks like I'm going to have this gas grill for a while (unless I can teach our cats to cook and get them to move out.)[p]However, should there be an unfortunate accident to my old grill...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    JohnM,
    I guess if you have the Egg now, then it's all over for the gasser. Put the cover on it and just use the Egg. After a while the wife will never remember the gasser other than it is where you now keep all you BBQ tools. My wife never fiqured it out untill she tasted some hamhurgers from the Egg, I had her then!! Go do some nice fat juicy burgers tonight and put the gasser away