Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a Mini

Options
as a birthday present SWMBO bought me a Mini I love it but not sure what I should use it for being that I have 2 Large BGE'S and suggestions ???image
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Wow, your SWMBO really loves you! Being that you already have 2 larges that's tough... I suppose you could just reserve the mini for outings and grilling on the go?

How do you like your 2 large setup? I have often thought about getting a second large, do you find yourself using both frequently?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    JerkChicken   I love the 2 Large set up I don't use the 2 all the time when I'm having a large gathering I use booth some times when I'm doing steaks I will cook on one at like 350 degrees and have the 2nd blazing at like 650 degrees and sear to finish off or if I'm doing a Pork Butt or a brisket (low & slow) on one the other can be used for burgers and dogs for the kids  but as a rule I mostly use 1  but it's nice having the 2nd 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I will take it off your hands :)]
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I love mine for small meals for the two of us.  burgers/small pizza, brats, tenderloins, etc.
    You will love it, no needs to heat all that ceramic in the large.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It will cook a small bird.
    Options
    revolver1  thaw what I was thinking but I have a question how many burgers can you cook at a time I'm thinking at most 2 ?

Long Island N.Y.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    SmokeyPitt thank you I get the Idea 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    U will love it.I use mine all the time.Steaks,burgers,small tenderloin and etc.Just last night cooked a whole chicken. Its my most used egg.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I currently only have 1 large, but I am going to get another one. Too many times I need it. For example I cooked burgers on Saturday night and then I wanted to cook mushrooms, onions, peppers, and sausage for the next day.  

I had so many onions and mushrooms etc, that I had to cook them and THEN the sausage. I was out there till 9:30.

The different temp cooks also come into play as well. 

I will be getting another large soon. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Maybe you can switch it for a small? You can do 4-5 burgers/chicken with it. Will help you save on lump
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    Worst case you can light your cigars from it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Congrats on the new bambino :-). What to make on it?»»»I'd try anything I could fit on it ;-)
    Edit: PS I see a "Beach Bum" egg. That joker would be nestled in my truck anytime I went to the beach! I would catch, fillet and cook the fish right there on the beach :-).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Charles,

You can do three decent burgers or more meat if you do sliders. You can fit a chicken or a small roast. I cook for a minimum of 4 every night so my mini doesn't get used as often as I would like. The flip ring from CGS and some small pizza stone lets you do indirect. It's more fun to use than any of the others and it heats up like the blazes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Little Steven    I cook for between 4 to 5  people Im sure that I will figure out something to do in the mini maybe use it to sear steaks after they come off the large 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @Charles, I'd take that problem of yours any day. I'm sure you will find a use for the new family member. Have fun with it. :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Charles,

Individual size pizzas are the bomba!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Congrats on the small Charles.  Enjoy!  Now you can triple task.  Appetizer, Dinner and Veggies...
    Nice!!!
    Long Island, NY
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    You can cook a whole hotdog on a mini! Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    Gittin' there...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have multiple eggs also but use the mini alot. You can do 4 good sized burgers on it. I just took 3 burgers off mine. I have also done a 5 pound chicken as well as a 6 pound shoulder on it. Congrats on the mini.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    revolver1  thaw what I was thinking but I have a question how many burgers can you cook at a time I'm thinking at most 2 ?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We use the mini and the small most of the time, just two of us. Do reverse sear on meat. Mini will be doing the veggies while small cooking the beef. When the veggies are done and the beef gets close the desired temp, I open up the mini and use it to do the reverse sear. It doesn't take any time for the mini to get rip roaring hot.
    Mini easy to light, quick to come to temp, just as easy to control temp as large and small. Pizza when kids are here are the best. While one is making their pizza another is cooking theirs. If you watch any of the movies you will see our mini in action.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @mickey - can you tell me about your burger recipe? I can see the onions in there. I need to kick my burger game to the next level. 

thx
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    @mickey - can you tell me about your burger recipe? I can see the onions in there. I need to kick my burger game to the next level. 

thx

Always chopped onions (red most of the time) mixed in the meat. A little coffee rub or just S&P. Also cook onions on grill to top burgers with. I like onions. I use onion rolls for buns. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@Mickey you forgot to mention that the meat you use is brisket.

@Charlesmaneri Happy belated birthday. Sounds like you got a keeper there. Congrats on the mini. Just start playing with it and you'll get a feel for what it can do. I suggest picking up a mini woo and the two pizza stones on Amazon. Heck, you can even get a wok and do mini stir frys. Speaking of, I need to pull out my mini wok and use it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Charlesmaneri Happy late B-Day, I think your wife needs to talk to my wife.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    And after the first 3000 hot dogs you've driven the cost of owning a mini down to under 10 cents a dog!

not counting the price of the lump. or the hot dogs.
    Gittin' there...