Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post Nth GA Eggers dinner: Shrimp and Grits

Options
After eating myself into a stupor at the NGa Eggfest this weekend, I intended to have a nice salad for Sunday. SWMBO felt otherwise and Shrimp and Grits it was to be. I didn't have any Tasso sausage (hard to find where I live) so I used Pancetta instead. My plating photos are "meh" but it all tasted much better than it looked.
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    Options
    looks pretty darned good to me!
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks great to me as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks. I grilled the corn and wanted more contrast between the colors of the ingredients. But when the natives are restless and demand sustenance, I can't spend too much time plating and making things purty.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You are not giving yourself enough credit :).  It is a really nice looking dish.  If it tasted half as good as it looks then it was a home run! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    That looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It almost looks like you have some "blown out" highlights due to the light-colored nature of the meal and the white plate. Plus, the artificial lighting doesn't help. Try backing off 1 f-stop or putting the plate by a window for natural light.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

@Eggcelsior: My wife just purchased a new Nikon DSLR so she's still learning the tricks. I'm sure that pic was taken in "dummy" mode...

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    A fun teaching tool is using AEB. You can take 3 shots with 0 exposure value, +1 and -1 value, and then compare the results right in camera. Some camera bracket by 3rds.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    A fun teaching tool is using AEB. You can take 3 shots with 0 exposure value, +1 and -1 value, and then compare the results right in camera. Some camera bracket by 3rds.
    I'll ask her to take a look at that. Thanks.
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    Options
    A DSLR learning curve is a bit steeper than learning to cook on an egg. Practice, practice, practice and at least one doesn't have to worry abut the cost of purchasing film.