Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ChefRD BBQ Chili inspired me for cook-off tomorrow ***5 pics***

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a chili cook off tomorrow at work, made the chili tonight, should be better tomorrow. I started with ChefRD's bbq chili recipe. I changed it up a little for my liking. I added yellow and orange peppers, a couple jalapenos seeds and all, used Labatt Blue beer (love that stuff), 4 cans of beans (2 pinto and 2 kidney) I added 2 quarts of my own canned tomatoes, and lastly I added a quart "box" of chicken stock.[p]I lit the egg then went to start prepping my ingredients. I ground up 2.5 pounds of round steak, I don't think it was course enough, but that was the largest plate I had. I browned the meat in my dutch oven on the egg. I am now questioning if I should have gotten the legs on the dutch oven. Its kinda hard to balance on the grate.
Put the plate setter in wih a fist size chunk of mesquite, brought the temp down to 300 and let it simmer for 4 hours.[p]I think I'm gonna win!!!![p]By the way, thats the last time you will see my favorite wooden spatula in a picture. I left it on the handle of the egg, for stirring. Come back 20 minutes later to stir...gone. My dog ate it. Not licked...ATE IT![p]Eggecutioner
Pb290112.jpg

Pb290113.jpg

Pb290114.jpg

Pb290115.jpg

Pb290116.jpg

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Dang, that looks really, really good. And I see the dog got some much needed fiber!! I guess you'll need a new favorite spatula. My condolences.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    You got my vote. The chili looks like a winner to me. As far as the spatula goes yes it was a loss and yes you will miss it, but look on the bright side better the spatula then having dog drool as a suprise ingredient in your award winning chili.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Your photos have inspired me to walk to the freezer, pull out a few pounds of brisket trimmings and make chili in the next day or two.... come to think of it, there's a bag a fresh dried anchos in the pantry just waiting to be cooked up with the beef... this should be good.
    Thanks for the pictures![p]John

• Eggecutioner,[p]Is that a lodge dutch oven? If so, what size? I am going to get one soon, just wanted to make sure i got the right size. I was going to go for the 9 qt., I've got a large BGE. Thx.[p]Beefer
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    You better not mess with my brisket trimmings!!! And step away from BobbyQ's beef stock NOW!![p]LOL
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Beefer,[p]It is not a Lodge brand. It is a Texmex or somethinng like that. I think it is also 6 or 8 quart.[p]Eggecutioner

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]It just makes me mad! I was out front hanging Christmas Lights while the dog sneaks out back to sample my stuff. I was outsmarted by a Lab!!! I moved down on the food chain I think.[p]E
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You think the Lawn Ranger could whittle me a spatula out of guava wood?[p]Hee Heeee!!![p]Joe
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Do you chop or grind the brisket parts?[p]Joe
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Prolly! But not before Christmas!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Now don't go thinking that lab is too smart. Sneaky and very food-motivated, yes, but smart?[p]My lab also stole and attempted to eat a cooking utensil. But it was the steel tongs--the kind with "teeth" down one side. Found the tongs in the back yard with clear evidence of two things: 1)the dog cares more about food than pain and 2)he cut his mouth somewhere.[p]I couldn't find the injury, and his food obsession has not abated, so I'm sure he's OK. I'm also sure he's not too bright. It would be scary if they were still as sneaky, but they were smart, too.[p]J

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Forgot to mention last night....I might be mistaken, but the dutch ovens with legs are made for traditional dutch oven cooking with coals or briquettes underneath. For stove or egg cooking the legs are not needed...and as you found out, they can get in the way. [p]Your pix have inspired several folks including me. This is chili season!
    Happy hump day!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]I'll probably just cube and brown.

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I promise I won't touch Bobby's consommé but I will share your brisket with you. heeee!
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I do the traditional cooking thing with the coals over and under. Do you think I should remove them? Never mind, I'm just gonna do it.[p]Joe[p]Where did I put that sawzall...

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I was watching a show about that kind of dutch oven cooking, and it looks like something I would love to learn how to do. Some good lookin stuff was comin outta those thangs.
    Happy sawing!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Funny, Lan was asking me yesterday if I had a small chunk of brisket she could use in her Vietnamese beef soup. I told her I did, but it was in your freezer![p]So, when ya comin down?
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Nature Boy and Joe,
    Whoa, there Joe - I would think twice before I cut off those legs if I were you. I have both the conventional Dutch oven with the flat bottom and also one with the three legs which is called the camp style. Depending on what I'm cooking each one is well suited. For instance I much prefer my legged camp style resting on an inverted plate sitter for sake of the uniform heat circulation clear around vs the direct heat when letting the non-legged style sit directly on the grate since IMHO it cooks faster and needs more attention. [p]As for storage I bought a cheap deep dish pizza pan at Wally World that is 15" and that way I can store my legged version in the cold kitchen oven between uses - while the regular non-legged rests in the cabinet easily.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    RRP, Makes sense if you are cooking on a platesetter, but why would you want a barrier between the heat and your dutch oven??
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Nature Boy, Just like kids will say "cauz...ah, geeIdon'tknow!" LOL[p]I just got it in my head that for making ClayQ's pulled beef for instance there is a more uniform heat environment that way.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    RRP,
    Just wunnerin. Dutch ovens are thick and beefy because they are designed to cook over direct heat. I can see how you would naturally think that indirect would be a more even heat environment (and maybe it really is), but give it a try over direct heat and see what you think. You'll go through a lot less fuel too because you don't have to run your cooker nearly as hot.[p]As far as Clay's beef, I can't comment because in my lameness, I have still not cooked his wonderful looking recipe! But for a pot of liquidy stuff, I think you'll be pleased with going direct.....and sawing them legs off! Okay, maybe another dutch oven would be easier than cracking out the saw! LOL
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I would buy another DO rather than cut the legs off of mine. But of course you could always put a DO trivet under the oven after you cut the legs off.

Toy Man
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    RRP,[p]I am thinking that without the legs I have versatility. I can cook level on the grate and if I need air space between the dutch oven and the plate setter, I can use the Mad Max Copper elbows or I think the copper "TEE" may even be more stable.[p]Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    i use a piece of perforated sheet metal under the legs and it works fine. i wouldnt cut the legs off. both types of pots work well.if you go inderect with a platesetter or pizza stone, as natureboy mentioned, you will definately burn more lump, but that works also.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I did burn almost a full load, with the plate setter, running at 300 for 5 hours. An hour of that was at 400 to brown the meat.[p]The perforated metal is a good idea. I have a piece just the right size too, and never thought of it. I was actually considering fender washers wedged on the tapered legs.[p]thanks
    Joe

• Eggecutioner,[p]Thanks.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    It's OFFICIAL. I have in my possesion a color laser printed image of a first place ribbon. Aren't I proud!!!![p]LOL [p]More importantly, this is a fund raiser at work for the family(ies) that we adopt at Christmas time. [p]The bad news is that I found out that my new boss normally gets first prize...[p]Ciao,[p]E

• bbqwizard
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Congratulations![p]phillip

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Congrats on the first place win![p]Chuck
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Glad I inspired you. It's real hard to beat Egged Chili (as most foods are :)) the extra smokiness really soups it up!
    later,
    Ron.