Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire grate replacement

Options
What are you guys using for fire grate replacements for your eggs?

I have a large, and I've been looking to replace mine for no other than I hate when I get some small lump and it's stuck in the holes, it's starting to rust a shade, and is getting a crack in it.

Been looking at some of the SS ones that look like cooking grates, wonder how the performance is, or any other quirks about it, to make it worth the upgrade?
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I purchased and use a Lodge CI Trivet for low and slow. The SS ("High-Que?) is good for very high temps, but you can blow through an awful lot of charcoal.....
    South SLO County
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    2 Larges and a well worked Mini and you will find all three 100% of the time have SS High-Que in them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Options
    What does the high que do better than the factory fire grate?
  • Mickey
    Options

What does the high que do better than the factory fire grate?

It sucks air
    :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Better airflow and more consistent. I put one on my small and large.

Little Rock, AR

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have noticed in most the lumps out there that there are a lot of small pieces that will slip through and not burn. What are you experiencing with this?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I use the High-Q fire grate. Although some small pieces of charcoal do fall through, its well worth not having the holes get plugged and potentially causing temperature head aches. Although I may not Egg as often as some here, I haven't noticed a substantial difference in the lump I go through, if any.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I was worried about small lump passing through and filling the ash box area up myself.

Good to hear, as the Hi Que is the one I was looking at.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Mickey
    Options
    I have noticed in most the lumps out there that there are a lot of small pieces that will slip through and not burn. What are you experiencing with this?

Not a lot. Some, very small amout. If enough would fall in 25 cooks to cover the cost of a beer I would be very much surprised. Most important on the very few times I pull the ashes out I just don't remember seeing any unburnt chips of lump????

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Even if small buts fall through, they will still catch fire.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Check out the Ash Dragon Fire Grate on Amazon.
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Options
    Plus, plus on the High Que love it, better coals, better cooks

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    You won't use more lump if you use the high que grate compared to the stock great for the same temp cooks. It's all about the volume of air passing through vents that determine how hot a fire you have which determines how much lump you use.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Bought a grate from stlcharcoal here on the forums. Works great, mini runs high que.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    HighQue in the large and small. No extra lump consumption that I have noticed. Once you get a good fire goin even the little pieces that fall thru the grate ignite in the ash area.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    St Luis Charcoal in the medium.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • hartofatiger
    hartofatiger Posts: 204
    Options
    I've used the stock grid, spent $80 on something called the turbo grid, and finally the high-que grid. High-que is by far the better of the three.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• queued
    queued Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm using one from stlcharcoal for my large.  I've been nothing but happy with my purchase.
    Raleigh, NC
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    TFols said:
    St Luis Charcoal in the medium.
    Yep, have about six mediums left, and about a dozen smalls.......when they're gone, they're gone!
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I have the St Luis Charcoal grate in two larges and a medium.  They are awesome!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    That is exactly what I was looking for.  I could use all my back up bags of competition briquettes now so the ash will fall through like in my WSM. Thanks for sharing the site. Everyone says the ash from the briquettes clogs the holes on the egg but it won't clog this grate I guarantee it. Just shop vac out the bottom after a low and slow and good to go is what I'm thinking.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I just placed my order LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • Mickey
    Options
    I've used the stock grid, spent $80 on something called the turbo grid, and finally the high-que grid. High-que is by far the better of the three.

Same here. I gave away my Turbo Grate to a forum member. Not worth the money.