Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear FTW

Options

Grilled a few 10oz filets for Mother's Day and decided to go with the reverse sear method....will never grill a steak any other way again!

{300 with PS (legs up) until IT was at 100. Pulled and loosely foiled while egg fired up. Seared each side for 45 seconds at 650}

My wife's comment when she ate her first piece, "Boom goes the dynamite!"<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Atlanta, GA

Comments

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Reverse Sear *kool-aid man voice*  "OH Yeahhhh"
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Yes!!!! For a straight year this is all I have done. Just recently I have been finishing my steaks off in a cast iron pan with bacon fat for the sear!! Whole other level. Congrats!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options

I have seen people say this method is good, and I agree that it is good for an egg since it take little time to raise temp and hours to drop temp.  I normally sear on a gas or cast iron on my stove, then evoo and season, nothing fancy just pepper and garlic, then to the egg until desired temp. 

Now for my point,  my reasoning for this is to avoid burning any seasonings.  Do either of you run into this issue of burnt seasoning? Of course the bacon fat Idea would add flavor in its own way I guess, might try that and not need any seasoning.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I've never seasoned before the sear. Just in the beginning
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• brock9281
    brock9281 Posts: 64
    Options
    I used EVOO and DP Cowlick and did not experience any burnt seasoning taste
    Atlanta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I have seen people say this method is good, and I agree that it is good for an egg since it take little time to raise temp and hours to drop temp.  I normally sear on a gas or cast iron on my stove, then evoo and season, nothing fancy just pepper and garlic, then to the egg until desired temp. 

Now for my point,  my reasoning for this is to avoid burning any seasonings.  Do either of you run into this issue of burnt seasoning? Of course the bacon fat Idea would add flavor in its own way I guess, might try that and not need any seasoning.

If you're burning the seasoning, you can dial back the heat.  The maillard reaction occurs in a sweet spot around 280-330F (on the surface of the meat).  Obviously the key is to have a dry surface, as water (boils at 212) will inhibit this lovely reaction. That surface WILL dry, eventually. with heat.
    edited May 2014
    Options
    brock9281 said:

Grilled a few 10oz filets for Mother's Day and decided to go with the reverse sear method....will never grill a steak any other way again!

{300 with PS (legs up) until IT was at 100. Pulled and loosely foiled while egg fired up. Seared each side for 45 seconds at 650}

My wife's comment when she ate her first piece, "Boom goes the dynamite!"

I know eh!
    Brampton, Ontario

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I was speaking of the searing, usually at about 550f, that's why I sear then season then cook