Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally got my Large!

Options
I finally went to PA and got my egg! I plan on cooking a sirloin on it first. I know youre not supposed to go over 350 degrees or so inorder to set the gasket. My question is, how long should I burnthe lump before I cook the steak? I will try to take pictures as I go!! Thanks!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Congrats! I wouldn't worry about temp. The egg is under warranty if you bought it new and the gasket you'll probably want to upgrade anyway in the future. Time depends on what brand lump you're using and what you're using to start your egg. (Example: Starter cubes will take longer to light vs. a weed torch) Anything 20+ minutes should be good for most lumps.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase. If you are using BGE lump it will take 20 to 30 minutes to burn off the nasty's. 

If you are using Rockwood it will take a lot less time. 

There are a lost of posts here about lump. They are like football teams, vehicles, religion, and politics. Everyone has their own opinion and most people feel pretty strong about it! 

We are glad that you are here. Post pics or it didn't happen! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My buddy got one recently, you will want to raise that grid asap. That's what he struggled with out the gate, until he got the woo.
    Enjoy!
    Seattle, WA
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options
    Steak came out pretty good rubbed it with tasty licks red meat rub. Swmbo thought the rub was a bit strong but she had seconds!! Cooked it direct at around 400 on the cast iron grate, served it with sautéed spinach and a baked potato. I know this is old news to all of you but I cannot beljeve how easy the temp was to regulate the first time!! I will have a worse grilling problem soon! Thanks for all the great recipes and advice!!!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Looks good to me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Impressive first cook!! Keep that pic of the white egg guts cause it won't take long for it to be nice and black. I like the looks of a virgin egg!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Nicely done. Welcome aboard.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Congrats on your LBGE purchase. Nicely done on the 1st cook right outta the gate.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options
    Thanks all. I did giggle to myself at that lily white interior! Not for long

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nope. After your first low & slow it'll be but, a memory. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!  I think the gasket thing is a little overblown for the current generation of Eggs.  In the past the gaskets were very poor, and even when treated with care, did not last.  They are now using a much better quality gasket.  Not that you can't destroy them with really high heat cooks, but the current generation of gasket will absorb a lot more punishment.  Enjoy!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Impressive first cook!! Keep that pic of the white egg guts cause it won't take long for it to be nice and black. I like the looks of a virgin egg!!
    And we have an EggMo.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Nice looking cook! Welcome, enjoy, and stock up on Budweiser.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great start!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.