Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Bourbon Question

Options
2»

Comments

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Please forgive me for the anus reference.

I mean, sure. Hell ya. I meant it. But I shouldna said it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Great thread.

It must take two drinks to get you hammered, or you're claiming bankruptcy due to your top shelf bourbon fetish.

A fifth of Beam, Angostura Bitters, Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth, Cherries, and I'm good.......the ramblings of a white trash egger. lol 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I'm glad you were joking. But please do not sharpen any pencils in my anus!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've been drinking some bourbon lately, and found it overall to have more
     body than the Islay single malts I usually like. Scotch does have a more refined, cleaner flavor. Depends on what I'm in the mood for.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    I'll sharpen my pencil on Uranus, but only if you buy me a drink first, sailor.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Caliking

You mean more mouth feel? Rounder? Like more sugar or body? I think that may be right. I Don't know enough about bourbon. But I have spent too much time on Islay.

Seneca Falls, NY

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Scotch has more subtle nuances, IMO. BTW, if you like peaty, have you tried The Ardberg ?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Sorry for a crappy pic but I'm lazy tonight. I've been nursing these. The Bushmills my grandmother bought back in the 80's. She threatened to break anyone's arm who broke the seal for 20 some years. She passed some time ago and when my dad passed in August last year my aunt sent it home with me. It was bitter sweet breaking the seal. Not a particularly expensive bottle but very special to me and I will stretch that one out for a long time. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    Anyone ever tried Rowan's Creek? I've heard good things about that one.
    I like it, I have gone through a couple of bottles, I'm a daily Makers Mark drinker with a bottle of Makers 46 on occasion.  Its a littler sharper than makers is but its a good sipping bourbon.  
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Wow this is going nuts, Not a peat fan, which cuts out a bunch of scotch.  Love malt=bourbon.  For $60 in this area,  Four Roses single barrel cask strength will hang with any bourbon made!!!
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Funny story, and partly what began my recent intrigue with bourbon: I'd read all about Pappy and was really looking for a bottle over the holidays. My brother, also a huge spirits guy, was on the same hunt. Neither of us could find it anywhere (no surprise), but then my brother emails me a pic of the Van Winkle 12 year label, saying I swear I bought this for Dad as a gift years ago. He'd been at a liquor store and asked the clerk what bottle he thought would make a good gift and the guy recommended that one. The sight of the label jarred my brother's memory and he insisted it was the same bottle. So we go up to my Dad's place, and sure enough, there's a 3/4 full bottle of Van Winkle 12. My dad had probably been using it to mix Jack and cokes or something. Pretty amazing. We poured it out over the holidays. Incredible stuff.
    Southern California
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Pappy is only released 1x per year usually sometime in November, limited quantities and most stores don't even put it out reserving for its better customers. aShame.  Its really good but certainly not the best bourbon out there.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN