Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yes Dad I checked

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited April 2014 in Off Topic
So my Son worked hard out in the yard (1.25 acres) and l always ask him did ya check the oil, blades tires etc. Low and behold I find little to no oil left, mower deck wheels are snapped off at hubs, blades ate up, etc (you get the idea). He's 19 with 2 jobs, a band and college (he's a busy guy so I appreciate the help he does give everyday). So does Dad get mad?Nope. Perfect time to (razzed him first of course) teach him some mechanical skills and the importance of inspecting before operating (replacing blades, oil change, new deck wheels etc). And a cold Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA helps :-). I hope y'all enjoyed your day share a smile with a stranger. Cheers.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    You are much more tolerant than I would have been in the same situation-adult beverages or not.  And your outcome will likely turn out better than mine would have.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    It can all be fixed. Make sure he helps you fix it. Life could be worse
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @stevesails‌ yep agreed. :-). The only way to learn is to get some dirt under the nails and bust yer knuckles. I'm here for guidance and moral support. Lol
    @lousubcap‌ ah you ain't as hard as you think ole Salty Dog :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    My oldest daughter is temporarily living here, waiting for hubby to relocate also and start their new jobs.  She offered today to take over the lawn mowing in thanks for the room and board.  Not necessary but a very nice gesture.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton‌...sometimes it's just the fact they offer (without being asked). You've got a good girl there. :-)
    Our boy is a really coming into himself and he makes me very proud to call him Son :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options
    If only I had your patience in many similar situations presented to me by my 16 year daughter that is offended by everything....
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @CosmicVoyager‌ don't get it twisted I'm a raving a$$#ol3 but, I'm also here to be a Dad. The boy can't learn if I just fly off the handle. I have my good moments ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited April 2014
    Options

@CosmicVoyager‌ don't get it twisted I'm a raving a$$#ol3 but, I'm also here to be a Dad. The boy can't learn if I just fly off the handle. I have my good moments ;-)

:).Sometimes it pays sometimes to be forgiving and understanding.

On another note, a few years back my wife and I were living in a rental house up in charlotte, while she did grad school. She called me on my way home from work one night proud and thrilled to let me know she cut the grass. Which was followed by, "boy that's a dusty yard" puzzled, I kept driving and got home to a yard completely void of grass. She had let the deck down as far as it could go and scalped THE ENTIRE YARD. I thanked her for helping, smiled and hid the key to the lawnmower.

She's never cut any grass since.

I had to reseed the whole thing.
    [-(
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Solid
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's to get back at you for screwing up the laundry, or something, I guess.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

:).Sometimes it pays sometimes to be forgiving and understanding.

On another note, a few years back my wife and I were living in a rental house up in charlotte, while she did grad school. She called me on my way home from work one night proud and thrilled to let me know she cut the grass. Which was followed by, "boy that's a dusty yard" puzzled, I kept driving and got home to a yard completely void of grass. She had let the deck down as far as it could go and scalped THE ENTIRE YARD. I thanked her for helping, smiled and hid the key to the lawnmower.

She's never cut any grass since.

I had to reseed the whole thing.
    [-(
    Years from now your brilliant SWMBO will explain how this kept her from mowing the lawn. That's hilarious! I can only imagine the priceless look of "really? Seriously"? =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Good thing I never did anything like that when I was his age.

"No, Dad, I'm positive I closed the lift gate -- can I borrow the keys again after you recharge the battery?"

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing‌...I admit had the Kohler engine failed for a lack of oil I would've been pissed. But, truthfully we Dads should set the example. Meaning>>> how often do you check the oil in your car, truck etc, tire pressure, trans fluid, blades on mower, belts, blah, blah, blah. Point is we have to lead by example. Personally I do these things because I've learned a well oiled machine lasts longer and I'm not made of $$$. Now it's my job to drill this in my Sons brain :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my dad would have got me this
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fishlessman‌...ouch :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options
    My wife had one chance to cut her dad's grass. She made crop circles.

She failed...but never had to mow again, so maybe she passed. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy‌... The artist cut :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing‌...I admit had the Kohler engine failed for a lack of oil I would've been pissed.
    It wasn't until I read this, that I could say I wouldn't have gone ballistic. 

My boys displayed little interest in learning how to do simple maintenance.  They better get good jobs, because they'll be paying for everything.  My daughter is much better about helping with things like that.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Ragtop99‌ I don't have daughters. But, I have heard the old saying Parents to their daughters "better marry a man that can fix stuff or pay to have it fixed". Me personally I'm a tight a$$ so even if I were crazy loaded I would do 99% of it myself (+ I get personal satisfaction knowing I did it myself and if it's done wrong I can only blame myself). I think girls should know how to do these things even more so than boys so they don't get taken advantage of by some of these shady mechanic shops (which unfortunately do exist).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Atta boy!
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    He's a Rock Star!!!
    So I'm finishing up working on a reach in freezer and low boy cooler at one of my Buffalo Wild Wings and my wife requests I shoot her some pics of my drivers license for a form that has a deadline today in regards to life benefits and profit sharing. Ok NP I shoot em to her email (but, it seemed rather odd to me. Nonetheless I didn't question it). As I was departing on my hour or so journey home I called my 19yro Son to see how college and work was for him. "Great!"he says. Followed by "can you meet me at Wal-Mart in a few minutes". I said sure but, will be about a hour. I digress. I meet up with him and he's glowing with a smile ear to ear. He takes me back to the Sporting Goods where a young man is patiently waiting and clearly knows what's going on. "Dad give the man your drivers license I'm taking you fishing Saturday". Man it has been 2 yrs since he and I have done this and then he proceeded to buy some bait and food so he could precook some lunch for us. And also buying more bait that morning at our spot in St Augustine. Plus he's taking me to breakfast that morning. Damn near made a grown man tear up! So I'm going fishing with my Son! :-D.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    So I'm finishing up working on a reach in freezer and low boy cooler at one of my Buffalo Wild Wings and my wife requests I shoot her some pics of my drivers license for a form that has a deadline today in regards to life benefits and profit sharing. Ok NP I shoot em to her email (but, it seemed rather odd to me. Nonetheless I didn't question it). As I was departing on my hour or so journey home I called my 19yro Son to see how college and work was for him. "Great!"he says. Followed by "can you meet me at Wal-Mart in a few minutes". I said sure but, will be about a hour. I digress. I meet up with him and he's glowing with a smile ear to ear. He takes me back to the Sporting Goods where a young man is patiently waiting and clearly knows what's going on. "Dad give the man your drivers license I'm taking you fishing Saturday". Man it has been 2 yrs since he and I have done this and then he proceeded to buy some bait and food so he could precook some lunch for us. And also buying more bait that morning at our spot in St Augustine. Plus he's taking me to breakfast that morning. Damn near made a grown man tear up! So I'm going fishing with my Son! :-D.
    Freaking awesome!
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    @Ragtop99‌ I don't have daughters. But, I have heard the old saying Parents to their daughters "better marry a man that can fix stuff or pay to have it fixed". Me personally I'm a tight a$$ so even if I were crazy loaded I would do 99% of it myself (+ I get personal satisfaction knowing I did it myself and if it's done wrong I can only blame myself). I think girls should know how to do these things even more so than boys so they don't get taken advantage of by some of these shady mechanic shops (which unfortunately do exist).
    No daughters here either, just a son, but could not agree with every word of this post anymore than I do
    Boom
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'm still in awe! He (like all of us) works his a$$ off and he has college. And quite honestly most 19y.o. are somewhat narcissistic. So I'm very proud of the kind, considerate and loving young Man that stands before me today. Proud to say my wife and I raised him and "Yes, that's our Son". :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL, dude, I'm right there with ya.  I can afford to have stuff repaired but I'd rather do it myself (and I'm a cheap bastard).  I'm not afraid of any job, although I admit I'm getting older and I'll hire someone as a helper - ditch digger stuff, or go in the hot attic and pitch insulation, etc.

I put in our AC and furnace, borrowed my articulating boom lift from the guy I sold it to to use it as a crane to put the condenser on the roof.  I silver soldered all the copper CORRECTLY with a nitrogen purge, pumped it down, charged the system.  If I need a diagnostic on a car, I'll do it myself.  Any repair, same.  The solar system I had to have a licensed company install to get the tax credits, that's an exception.  Built my whole shop from the slab to the electrical and roof.  (did get a licensed electrician buddy to file the job though).  Put in my own standby generator, on demand heater, etc.  Love an excuse to buy more toys (tools).

Edit: was reading back a few months.  Awesome your son is taking you fishing!
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌. I sorta piggybacked the thread because it's somewhat related. Son. See earlier post to piggyback. :-). He's a rock star!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    There's just something about fishing &/or hunting with my Son that brings me a inner peace. Even when we catch nothing I take that precious time in with open arms. Zen.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014