Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salsa recipes please

Options
I am on the look out for a salsa recipe, while shopping for jalapeños the other day, someone told me to take a habanaro pepper and make salsa with it. Anyone have a recipe that they would share with both of these peppers in it? And I know the little pepper will have some kick. TIA
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Here is one I make for a cooked salsa.  As prepared, it is medium in heat, but that also depends on the size of the jalapenos and whether you include the seeds or not (I do not) . You could add Habanero's and more Jalapeno's if you want it hotter.  I made 30 pints of this last fall, it always gets rave reviews.  BTW, I am one of those folks who does not care much for Cilantro, so I go lightly in my salsa.

Salsa with Corn and Black Beans

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained (you can use canned)
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion (2-3 onions worth)
    1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper ( 1 good sized pepper)
    1 can black beans drained and rinsed
    1 cup frozen corn
    4 chopped jalapenos
    1 chopped red chili
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
    2 TBSP Kosher salt ( or 1 TBSP table salt)
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (or 2 Tbsp dried)
    1/4 cup sugar
    2/3 cup vinegar
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    6 oz. tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process 15 min in boiling water bath.

You can also refrigerate and use within a couple of weeks

Makes 9 pints
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Have you tried Habaneros ever before? Just a word of caution, they're way hotter than jalapeños...

With that out of the way... the way I like habaneros best is simply to cut them up into very thin slices, mix them up with equally finely sliced purple onion, enough lime juice to "swamp" the onion and chiles, a little extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Some people prefer a 3/2 white vinegar/lime juice ratio instead of just lime, and include a little oregano.

I'm betting you could throw some jalapeños in the mix with little hassle, it will probably just be a little milder.
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited April 2014
    Options
    If you'd rather have a more liquid/pasty salsa, here's another recipe for you:

2 Habanero peppers
    3 Medium red tomatoes (or 4 small ones)
    1 Garlic clove
    A couple of thin julienne-cut onion slices
    Salt to taste

To make the salsa first put the tomatoes in the grill for a while turning every few minutes until soft and skin bursts.

If you want the salsa to be even hotter, you could put the habaneros on the grill just the way described for the tomatoes.

For best results you'll want to crush and mix the ingredients in a molcajete (if available) or on a mortar with a pestle: first crush the garlic, then add the onion slices and habaneros (without the stem) and the and crush well until the pepper's skin is basically "disintegrated", lastly add the tomatoes and crush as well, you can leave the skin on the tomatoes if you like for a more "rustic" salsa.

If you don't have a molcajete or mortar, you can always just put everything in a blender, but if you have them you won't regret putting in the little extra work.

Cheers!
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Thanks y'all this is great, I appreciate it. I do realize that little orange pepper packs a wallop. :D Just want to give it a whirl and see what I think.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

this is a bit different but always good during the summer

1 (12 oz) bag cranberries
    1 bunch cilantro, chopped
    1 bunch green onions, sliced
    1 jalapeno pepper or serranos, seeded and minced
    2 limes, juiced
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 pinch salt

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @McStew, Thank you, cranberries sounds interesting.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @smokesniffer Combine 1 cup of water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add cranberries; return to a boil. Gently boil cranberries for 10 minutes without stirring.  Add sugar to your liking I found 1/2 cup normally works well but I have put as mush as 3/4 of a cup.   Hope you enjoy as it is something different from time to time.
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Basic quick and easy fresh salsa.

Two med. fresh tomatoes diced
    1/2 cup brown onion diced
    2 each Serranos peppers diced
    1/2 cup (packed) cilantro chopped
    Fresh lemon or lime juice taste.
    Salt to taste.

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2014
    Options
    This is the way we like it. 

Salsa, Pico de Gallo, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    6-8 Whole Tomatoes
    1 Medium Red Onion
    1 Bunch Cilantro, fresh
    1 Can Green Chiles, diced, Ortegas/El Paso or similar
    1-2 Whole Jalapenos, fresh
    Juice from 1 fresh Lime
    1/4 cup Wine Vinegar
    1 dash Cayenne Pepper
    Fresh ground Black Pepper, to taste
    1/2 oz Cuervo Gold Tequila, to taste (optional)
    2-3 Tbs Hot Italian Cherry Peppers, diced (optional) or La Bomba

PROCEDURE:

1. Take the tomatoes, onions and fresh peppers if you have them and char on BGE. Peel the black skin and add some to the salsa.

2. Take tomatoes and cut in half against the stem, remove the seeds and any juices and discard. Dice tomatoes in 1/4 inch pieces.

3. Sprinkle with a little salt and let set for 30 minutes to remove more juices (prior to doing this, if you desire, lightly roast the whole tomato to remove the skin-gas burner or grill is best, but keep some of the burnt skin for flavor and texture).

4. Finely dice red onion, jalapenos, and cilantro (leaves only).

5. Mix all ingredients (best the next day-will keep refrigerated for about a week)

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Salsa

Source
    Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '09, Richard Fl

Author Notes
     This is the way we like it, but play around for your taste buds, there are choices for each palate.

Here is a green version.  Again the tomatoes and chiles may be charred on BGE.

Salsa, Chile, Green, Dip, Beware Very Hot

INGREDIENTS:
    12 tomatillos*
    5 jalapeno peppers**
    1 1/2 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    2 Tbs lime juice
    1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
    1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp dried tarragon, Crushed
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 Tbs olive oil

Procedure:

1. * Tomatillos are a green Mexican vegetable that looks like tomato in a husk. Remove the stems and husks. ** Carefully split each pepper and remove the seeds. Remember to wear gloves when working with the jalapenos..

2. Coarsely chop the tomatillos and place in a bowl. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. May be served at room temperature, or chilled.
     Makes about 3 1/2 cups of dip.
     SUGGESTED DIPPERS: Corn Tortillas, Potato Skins, Celery, Jicama, Monterey Jack Cheese, Cheddar Cheese

Servings: 6

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Salsa, Side Dish

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Here's a link to many eggcellent salsas-check it out when you can: http://www.rickbayless.com/category/recipes/salsas-sauces/
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this should keep me going for a while.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Okay cheating but try Mateo's from Costco- it is in the caned goods aisle and it is really good.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dude, I use fresh Italian plum tomatoes for salsa. Cut in the tomato with a boning/filet knife and turn and go round the outside. The seeds and membrane are cut away. Wipe out any remaining seeds. Whatever you use as a recipe the tomatoes are meaty and don't weep any liquid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Have you tried Habaneros ever before? Just a word of caution, they're way hotter than jalapeños...

With that out of the way... the way I like habaneros best is simply to cut them up into very thin slices, mix them up with equally finely sliced purple onion, enough lime juice to "swamp" the onion and chiles, a little extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Some people prefer a 3/2 white vinegar/lime juice ratio instead of just lime, and include a little oregano.

I'm betting you could throw some jalapeños in the mix with little hassle, it will probably just be a little milder.
    I do the same thing with cored, seeded jalepenos and its great. Really good with steaks.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    My regular salsa is:
    1 cucumber
    8 tomatoes
    1 onion
    4 jalapeno
    1/4 bunch of cilantro
    and some salt to taste
    Dice everything up by hand then add some salt

My fruity salsa is:
    can of apricots
    can of mandarin oranges
    can of pineapple
    1 red onion
    1 to 3 habaneros
    drain the juices from the canned fruit into a pitcher, add rum & pour over ice (enjoy this nice cocktail as a means of not wasting the juice)
    chop up the fruit, onions, & habanero's based on level of insanity desired
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    edited April 2014
    Options

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    2 roma tomatoes
    ½ cup red or sweet onion
    2 seeded jalapenos
    1/4 cilantro
    Flesh of one medium mango or 1/2 cup
    1 tbls fresh ginger
    1 tbls lime juice
    ½ teaspoon sea salt
    1 tbls white vinegar
    Combine ingredients the blend in food processor till smooth. Or dice all ingredients, and mince ginger combine and let rest for two hours in fridge.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Drigler
    Drigler Posts: 25
    Options
    A jalapeño has between 3500 and 8000 scoville units, the habanero is between 100k - 350k scoville units. Just make sure you are ready for the heat difference. If you want to feel the difference on your lips for awhile, go with the habanero.
    XL - Chandler, AZ
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Here's is what I ended up doing:

4 Roma Tomatoes

11/2 Large Green Pepper

1 Large Red Pepper 

1 cup Onion

2 Jalapeño Peppers, 1 was seeded

1 Habanero Pepper

3 Large Garlic Cloves, minced

1 cup Vinegar

1 5.5fl oz tomatoe paste (Hunts Herb and Spice)

11/2 tbs sugar

1 tbs salt 

1 tbs paprika

1tsp Oregano

1tbs Cumin

1 cup of chopped cilantro

1-2 stem of green onion

1/2 of a fresh lime juice

Put in food processor and pulse till you get the consistency you want. And taste for salt. We had some right away for lunch. Could taste the heat a bit. Will be interesting to see what it is like after it sits for a bit. Made about 8 cups.

Pictures won't upload. Used my Habanero, it did show up in the salsa. Maybe next time I might use 2 and see what temps I reach.:D There was a little perspiration on the fore head, but not over the top.

Thanks again everyone.

Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @Drigler I did rub a finger on the Hab and then tasted my finger, got a bit of a tingle on the mouth. Wow, Dangerous little pepper. Had a good feed of salsa and chips for lunch.
    ABT's tonight for supper.
    Have a great day y'all.
    Large, small, and a mini