Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Copper River Red Salmon

Options
Helmet
Helmet Posts: 163
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, my new neighbor from Alaska just flew down to FL and before he did he asked if I wanted anything from up there, of course I asked if they could bring some salmon. Well they showed up yesterday with 4 WHOLE Copper River Red Salmon fillets. I was absolutely blown away....I was thinking maybe he'd get me a portioned fillet or two, not 2 whole fish worth of fillets. They also brought me a bag of caribou weiners (caribou meat sticks) and Moose summer sausage. Needless to say, I have some awesome new neighbors!!
Anyway - thoughts on how I should cook some of these fillets? I am definitely hot smoking at least one, but that leaves me three more to cook. Suggestions? I've read a few things about these fish so I just wanted to get some input from you guys. I've heard to only cook them to 125 and I've also heard that they are so good that I should be careful about seasoning/dressing them too much. Anyone have any suggestions for them?
Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
"I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    i think the 125 target is probably about right. whenever i have grilled copper river salmon, i tend to over cook it and it comes out dry. maybe a small amount of salt and pepper?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Helmet
    Options
    Thanks for the info - yeah I've also read that overcooking it can be an issue - that it cooks faster than most salmon.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    those are some nice neighbors though!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sorry...had to
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Cook them on a cedar plank so as not to dry them out. I can't wait until Wegmans here has them again.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We've gotta a lot to offer in the way of fish and seafood here in FL but, salmon not so much. Those are some good friends you've got there. Ready for the pics. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cold smoke some?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Helmet
    Options
    @henapple - haha that pic is PERFECT!! I was thinking the same thing, but I currently don't have an amaz-n-smoker. Guess there's no time like the present, right? What kind of pellets should I get to go with it?
    And yeah, I could not be happier that they moved next door. As you all know - you never know who/what you're going to get when you get a new neighbor. 
  • Helmet
    Options
    Also, do forum members get any kind discount on the amaze-n-smoker (not that it's not fairly priced)?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This recipe is fantastic! I smoke and cure salmon 3-4 times a year following this recipe. Perfect explanation of the process followed with pictures. A must do!

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/02/seafood-dry-cure-for-salmon-trout-or.html?m=1
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Helmet said:
    Hey guys, my new neighbor from Alaska just flew down to FL and before he did he asked if I wanted anything from up there, of course I asked if they could bring some salmon. Well they showed up yesterday with 4 WHOLE Copper River Red Salmon fillets. I was absolutely blown away....I was thinking maybe he'd get me a portioned fillet or two, not 2 whole fish worth of fillets. They also brought me a bag of caribou weiners (caribou meat sticks) and Moose summer sausage. Needless to say, I have some awesome new neighbors!!
    Anyway - thoughts on how I should cook some of these fillets? I am definitely hot smoking at least one, but that leaves me three more to cook. Suggestions? I've read a few things about these fish so I just wanted to get some input from you guys. I've heard to only cook them to 125 and I've also heard that they are so good that I should be careful about seasoning/dressing them too much. Anyone have any suggestions for them?
    Nothing made this better.

He he!
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Salmon has a truly great taste, thats unique and all its own. I don't add too much to it to insure I don't mask that wonderful flavor. I would say that is especially true with the quality fish your friend provided you with. I use a little  sea salt, and a mixture of lemon and lime zest that I mix with a little ground pepper, lemon/lime juice, fresh dill weed,  and olive oil. I find that this mixture brightens the natural flavor of the Salmon with out changing it significantly. If the fillets are thick, I would bring them to within 10 or 15 degrees of where I wanted them by cooking them indirect, and then quickly mark them and bring them to temp over a moderate direct flame. Best of luck. Sounds like the main course of a great meal.
  • Helmet
    Options
    @eggcelsior - yeah, I had a feeling you and @henapple were going to have a blast with that when I posted it :)
    @WeberWho? - that looks really similar to the recipe I've used to hot smoke salmon in the past. 
    @keepervodeflame - I really like the looks of that recipe, I will definitely give it a shot. Pics to come in the next week or so. 
  • Helmet
    Options
    pescadorzih - How dare you mention Wegmans when I'm stuck in FL with Publix :P (I'm from Syracuse originally, really miss Wegmans)
  • Helmet
    Options
    Well, I ended up doing these a few different ways....here are the ones I did in the egg @ 250 until 120-125 and then tented. The two on the right were soy sauce and honey, top left was butter and blackened redfish seasoning, The bottom left was fresh dill, chipotle olive oil, lemon and lime juice and zest.
    Overall I wasn't too crazy about any of them. I liked the soy/honey ones the best.
  • Helmet
    Options
    Here's what i did with some leftovers the next day :)
  • Helmet
    Options
    I ended up smoking one of the other fillets I had. Used the first brine recipe on this page http://www.fishsniffer.com/recipes/salmon5.html
    I don't have a pic of the finished product (vacuum sealed most of it and thinly sliced and ate what i didn't) but here's a pic of it on water crackers with cc and capers
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I used to do this (great smoke quality) before I made a amazin smoker.  Use a 5000 BTU window unit to keep it sub-ambient.
    Options
    Those look awesome. I actually hot smoked mine, but I'm going to buy an amazing smoker for the next fillets (they just brought me 5 more!!) and try some cold smoking.