Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

ouch ouch hot hot

Well I picked up a pair of welders gloves at Northern Tool because them seemed a thicker then the ones at Home Depot. I relize they are more fire proof then they are heat proof but last night I had a cook going at 400 degrees and then wanted to remove the plate setter. Well I put on my gloves grabbed the plate setter to just put on the ground and about half way to the ground things got HOT! Had a few choice words but did not drop it pulled off the gloves and the tips of my fingers were toasty.
Is there a glove I can wear under the welders glove? So this does not happen again. Not sure I would have been able to hold on if the cook was hotter then 400.

Cary NC
·

Comments

• GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I use some Best PVC welders gloves.  I can pull a plate setter out with them.  It will get hot pretty quick at that temp, but it may last longer than yours now do.  Keep in mind that the bottom of the plate setter could be well above the dome temp.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • sodigthisbigcruxsodigthisbigcrux Posts: 126
    edited March 2014
    I bought these....

Extreme Dragon PBI/Kevlar High-Heat Gloves

http://www.superiorglove.com/extreme-dragon-pbi-kevlar-high-heat-gloves

and they work great....I've pulled off very hot plate setters and dutch ovens and it takes about 30 seconds before I start feeling the heat come through. The only downside is they soil easily, but
    that's not much of an issue as I never handle food with them
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
    ·
  • Regardless of what gloves you wear ALWAYS know where you're going with a hot plate setter before picking it up! Sounds like you did in this case so, good for you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Try the orca silicon type mitts- they work very well
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • JeronamoJeronamo Posts: 33
    I bought a pair of Lincoln welding gloves that have served me well for 2 years. I usually cook with the platesetter legs up and if I need to pull it out I grab the legs and quickly move it to the resting spot. The fingers
    ·
  • JeronamoJeronamo Posts: 33
    Half my reply is missing above. I was going to add that on a hot cook I will often shuffle the weight of the plate setter between my palms and fingers when I remove it from the egg.
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,787
    edited March 2014

Welder's gloves work pretty good when new, but eventually the grease and heat weaken the areas of contact.  After burning my hands more times than I can count, welders gloves do not get used much.  Brother works with aluminum recycling and gifted me several pairs of foundry gloves that can be found at a welding supplier SJ Smith.  The BGE "pit mitts" (top right) are nice for quick pie launches and transfers where you might need a little dexterity to grab a skillet or DO.  The leather gloves (top left) are great for cleaning ash and adding lump.  All on the bottom are the extreme heat foundry gloves.  I can grab a smokin hot platesetter or CI skillet and season it while holding with no problems.  Another option would be firefighter gloves.  Even though I have never used the orka gloves, I don't think I would be grabbing a hot platesetter with them.      

001.JPG 3.1M
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    Hollin' bout huh, egga what!?  Huh, give a Fock egga what!?
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,514
    Concerning the orca glove: I bought one and found that my largish hands did not fit. I was able to use it a couple of times as a clumsy hot pad. Resisted heat well, but I gave it away to someone whose hands fit.
    ·
  • jadjad Posts: 36
    looks like I might have to look into some foundry gloves

thanks for the feedback
    Cary NC
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    I bought some oversize mitts from Graingers. Good to 2000* I think . About $30. 

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,909
    I use the Home Depot / Lincoln welding gloves and they're fine for moving the plates setter... Since it's almost always in my Woo3 ;)

Just lift the two handles on each side and you're good to go
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,695
    Same as @hapster except my gloves came from lowes :D

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    I use ove gloves. They work great.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,660
    I bought the black BGE gloves and they work great, no problems with heat pulling my plate setter out.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

·
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 1,220
    I use ove gloves. They work great.
    I have a differently  branded version of those and I like them.  They don't cover the forearm well, but they are good for picking up platesetters.
    NOLA
    ·
  • RomainRomain Posts: 44
    Ove gloves. Have worked great for me so far.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,087
    edited March 2014
    I have a pair of weber mitts and a set of welders. Neither of them protect long term. You have tp know where the drop is before you grab a scorching hot platesetter.  

Here is a pic of the mitts:

They actually work a little better than welders. I use both, just depends on which is closer 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • SWMBO donated a pair of oven mitts and some hotpad holders (ok, donated is a stretch, after I used them a few times, she didnt want them back)...I put the mitts on and use the potholders to pull my PS...I always have the location ready ahead of time and I dont take the scenic route when I pull it, but they have worked out ok.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·
  • You need a Plate Setter Lifter.Tell Rob at Dickson's BBQ Center that BigGreenCraig sent you! 

64938217.jpg 51.2K

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,649
    edited March 2014
    first time I lifted my 350F plate setter with leather welder's gloves, it landed on the gasket, don't ask how/why  :\">
    canuckland
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
    Will the lifter work on the medium too?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • Ragtop99 said:
    Will the lifter work on the medium too?
    Yes sir!! Call Rob! Tell him that I sent you!

·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,161
    edited March 2014

The best glove I bought are these, the only down side is they are not leather and liquids go right thru them.

http://www.amazon.com/Glove-Surface-Handler--single-glove/dp/B000VS63DE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395437779&sr=8-2&keywords=the+ove+glove

They will handle a hot plate setter long enough to safely put it down. They say 540 degrees but I have put my hand on the front of my woodstove for 10 seconds and my infrared thermometer read 640.

·