Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: AppleCare

Options
2»

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Apple computers are an investment, like Cazzy said I have spent a crap load of money on my computers. My wife's old MBP got passed to my daughter after 4 years of use, then passed onto a friends daughter after another two years of service and my daughter got my MBP after I used it for 6 years. I used to replace my PCs ever two years so I am actually ahead in the money area.

We always get Apple Care on the computers, did you know that when you buy other items at the same time as a computer those are covered as well? Yup it's true. Like Cazzy on my old MBP I have had two logic boards replaced and both fans replaced all at no cost to me. And as a bonus you get the continued phone support as well, some of the best support I have ever gotten. My wife has moved to the iMac and her first one after 2 years of service was power cycling, this started on Mother's day what a great gift from the computer. Dropped it off at the local dealer at the time replaced the power and logic board back up and running. Sold that computer for $600 2 years later.

I, like many, use both PCs and Macs but I do not get into this computer is better than that one argument. They are tools and each has it's strengths and opportunities.

Really need to make it to my first fest, maybe next year I can come down to Salado.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    I still bristle from the old fanatics who used to just beat me down about how superior Apple products were. So I'm still not sure how the fanatics justify the extended warranty. I guess it is no different than any other fanatic who can't see things in an unbiased manner. I build my computers. Just rebuilt my main rig after the 2008 one was a bit slow. It still works if I get a new case. A buddy has a MBP that even plays games and I do envy the portability. On the flip side my 86 year old father is always asking me how to force the iPad to do things his way and I have to explain to him it can't be done because Apple knows better.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my 4 year old laptop cost less than applecare
    :))im never going to understand you apple guys
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    I have a 2008 24" iMac. I purchased Applecare when it was new. The computer had an issue early on (crash/freeze). It went into the shop and they wiped the drive, returned home and re-installed all of the software and databases...the problem continued. I took it into the shop once or twice again, the problem continued. I was told that it was "not harming the machine but was probably just annoying to me." I decided to simply live with it the way it was...and did, until December 2013. Applecare had long since expired as had the machine warranty. I gambled and wrote to the boss complaining  that the problem had never been resolved. They responded, checked the record...and worked closely with me for three months to isolate and then make the repair (a faulty graphics card). I am currently restoring databases and software trying to get back to normal. The computer seems to be operating fine now. Life is good and so is Apple!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options

@cazzy My wife and I have had iPhones since the June 2007 and the 4s was the first time we got Apple Care with the purchase. Meredith has had 2 cracked screens replaced with no extra cost. $99 for three years isn't a bad deal IMO. I haven't had to use it (knock on wood), but each day that I don't need it is another day that I'm closer to using it.

The only reason I've never purchased Apple care for our iPhones is I sell them every year a new one comes out. I've done this since the original came out. That's always been more than enough to cover the cost of the latest and greatest, activation fee, and a few dollars profit. Thanks T-Mobile customers!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @pretzelb‌ @fishlessman‌

I work in IT so PC will always be my life in some shape or form. I purchased my first MacBook Pro because several of the physicians I support use them and I don't like being asked a question I don't have an answer for. It was a big investment, but it's paid for itself professionally and personally. I made the jump to Android for the same reason last year. Also cause I knew I would get an iPhone from work. Lol. I'm versed in PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android. It comes in handy because my customers use a wide range of technology. I'm mostly called the Apple guy at work though and even the techs come to me for questions.

I love my MacBook Pro, but that mostly has to do with it has the most intuitive track pad I've ever used. I like it so much that a mouse is totally unnecessary plugged into my MBP.

I would classify myself as a technology fanatic. I love me some geeky toys!!! :D
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have had a MacBook Pro since 2010 and it still runs as good now as it did new.  Other than how effortlessly everything syncs from my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro, the thing I love the best about it is I have not had to buy any software for it since the day I got it.  No anti-virus or spyware or anything.  It just works and works well.  It is also nice that you get to upgrade OSx whenever they release a new version and pay $30 max (I think the last upgrade was free though).  You can forget about that with Windows.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Nearly 3 years ago, I spent a crap ton of money on a computer and got a decked out MacBook Pro.  I'm far from a warranty guy, but a buddy talked me into getting AppleCare as it paid for itself with his friend's MBP.  I've used it once to replace a busted power cord, which still had me in the red.

Over the past year and a 1/2, i've been into the Apple Store 3 times as my MBP was randomly going into sleep mode, or completely unable to power on even though it was connected to a power cord.   :-q They've ran tests after tests and told me everything was good.  The last visit, they told me the next step would be to send it off to the Apple Repair Center.  Last week, I heard a hamster wheel sound coming from the back, so I checked my warranty and saw that I had 10 days left of AppleCare.  My power cord was also tearing again, so I figured I should get another replacement before AppleCare expired. 

I took it in and told the guy that it was still randomly going into sleep mode and would like to send it off for repair.  He checked the notes and confirmed that was our next step.  The repair was $300 and thankfully was covered under AppleCare.  I got the come pick-up call this morning, so I drove to the Apple Store fully expecting they would say everything was fine.  Boy was I wrong...they finally discovered the problem and I pretty much have a brand new MBP 3 years later.   :)

They replaced the following:

• Logic Board (basically the motherboard and the foundation of any computer)
    • Bottom base (shell), keyboard, and trackpad.  
    • My left and right cooling fans
    • And all the feet on the bottom of the MBP

Bottom line, if you are purchasing a Mac, don't even think about it....buy AppleCare!   :D  
    If they replaced the keyboard and track pad - you also received a new battery. I had a sticking [SHIFT] key and the replaced the entire keyboard and the battry along with it. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • cazzy
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    cazzy said:
    Nearly 3 years ago, I spent a crap ton of money on a computer and got a decked out MacBook Pro.  I'm far from a warranty guy, but a buddy talked me into getting AppleCare as it paid for itself with his friend's MBP.  I've used it once to replace a busted power cord, which still had me in the red.

Over the past year and a 1/2, i've been into the Apple Store 3 times as my MBP was randomly going into sleep mode, or completely unable to power on even though it was connected to a power cord.   :-q They've ran tests after tests and told me everything was good.  The last visit, they told me the next step would be to send it off to the Apple Repair Center.  Last week, I heard a hamster wheel sound coming from the back, so I checked my warranty and saw that I had 10 days left of AppleCare.  My power cord was also tearing again, so I figured I should get another replacement before AppleCare expired. 

I took it in and told the guy that it was still randomly going into sleep mode and would like to send it off for repair.  He checked the notes and confirmed that was our next step.  The repair was $300 and thankfully was covered under AppleCare.  I got the come pick-up call this morning, so I drove to the Apple Store fully expecting they would say everything was fine.  Boy was I wrong...they finally discovered the problem and I pretty much have a brand new MBP 3 years later.   :)

They replaced the following:

• Logic Board (basically the motherboard and the foundation of any computer)
    • Bottom base (shell), keyboard, and trackpad.  
    • My left and right cooling fans
    • And all the feet on the bottom of the MBP

Bottom line, if you are purchasing a Mac, don't even think about it....buy AppleCare!   :D  
    If they replaced the keyboard and track pad - you also received a new battery. I had a sticking [SHIFT] key and the replaced the entire keyboard and the battry along with it. 
    I wish they replaced it.  My battery health is still 87% at full charge.  I figure I will just replace it myself next year.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My AppleCare is a SMD soldering/desoldering station, micro-screwdrivers and the world-wide interwebz.
    Options
    My AppleCare is a SMD soldering/desoldering station, micro-screwdrivers and the world-wide interwebz.
    Nice!  That will be mine going forward!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I just bought an ipad with some reward points through a program at work. I called the local Apple store to see if I could purchase Apple care as an aftermarket seeing as I didn't really buy it. They told me as long as it is within 30 days that the company bought it they can. I have to take it into an Apple store and they will pull up the serial number and check the purchase date. When I ordered it, it says 4-6 weeks for delivery. So I am hoping to get it in time. To spend $100 for a free $500 Ipad is a good investment.  
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I have had my MacBook for about 7 years now, and it has been pretty much trouble free for the whole time.  One time it was acting funny, and I took it to the Genius bar.  He found that the charger was causing the problem, and gave me a new one.  I didn't even have AppleCare. 

I really like that you can make an appt., and they can fix a lot of the common issues with you standing there with them.  That is a huge plus for me since I have to have this machine for work, and I don't have a lot of time to drop it off and pick it up.  All I do is keep the operating system updated and keep the cookies cleaned out of it, and it has run like a top every day since I bought it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I run ghostery on my browser so I'm not continually tracked by everyone and their mom.  I can't recommend this to everyone enough.
    Options
    I run ghostery on my browser so I'm not continually tracked by everyone and their mom.  I can't recommend this to everyone enough.
    Hell yeah homie!!!    B-)

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Nice! 

I block everyone.  They can all F themselves.
    Options

Nice! 

I block everyone.  They can all F themselves.

Yeah, they don't need to know how much BBQ Pron I look at! ;)