Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Duck (with pics)

Options
DobieDad
DobieDad Posts: 502
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've destroyed a number of ducks in my life, either in my oven or gasser. Tonight's was just outstanding, and totally simple.[p]After washing the fresh duck I trimmed off some exsess skin and fat, removed the backbone to butterfly the bird and dusted with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.[p]RawBFLB.jpg[p]And dusted the skin side.[p]RawBFLT.jpg[p]Then on to the Egg that had been stabilized at 225*F. I wanted to do it direct per djm5x9, but I became worried about all the fat I saw. Further, without a platesetter I could not elevate the bird into the dome. So I installed the platesetter, a drip pan on copper elbows to keep an air space above the platesetter, the grid, then the grid extension. Finally, the duck![p]OnTheEgg1.jpg[p]I have to admit, there is nothing like an Egg on autopilot, so I set up my Guru and just let things go for awhile.[p]OnTheEgg2.jpg[p]After 4.5 hours the Guru had been giving me an internal of 160*F or so for almost two hours.... is there a plateau for duck??[p]I checked with my Thermpen and all the duck was within 10*F of 160. Now I had to work on getting the skin crisp.[p]After4.jpg[p]I removed the Guru, opened the vents and let the dome temp go to 400*F and stay there for about 40 minutes. The aroma was unreal.[p]Crispy.jpg[p]I pulled the duck and put in in foil in the oven (ours stays at 125*F all the time due to the gas pilot) to rest for 15 minutes.[p]DuckDin.jpg[p]A very veggie salad accompanied our plates. The duck was tender and so flavorful and moist. The skin was not crispy as I have had it in some really great Chinese restaurants, but most of the fat had rendered from the skin so that it was thin, a little toward crisp and very tasty (something to work on and improve). Just delightful. The wine was an Aussie that I love, Hewitson 'Miss Harry' 2003, a full, rich Barossa GSM, complementing the strong flavors of duck.[p]As the weather cools, fresh duck is a real candidate for the Egg. I hope this post reminds the old timers how good duck really is, and gives newbys the inspiration to go for it.[p]On toward our Thanksgiving cooks![p]DobieDad[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    DobieDad,
    nice job. ..that looks terrific ...so you smoked it at 225 for two hours, then cranked it up to roast for 45 more minutes?? . . just looks outstanding. .. nice description. ..[p]btw. ..the reason peking ducks are so nice and crispy is that it is my understanding that most chinese restaurants finish them prior to serving by sticking them in a deep fryer for a few minutes. ...

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]You are not right for posting that!![p]I just finnished some Buffalo ...sliced on a salad (much like a traditional steak salad with a good Blue Cheese dressing).[p]Now...I feel cheated, and envious!![p]I looks great!![p]Evans[p]PS...Par boiling the duck (prior to the egg) will help with crisping up the skin.[p]
    PSS....I sure missed you and the Mrs.in Atlanta!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • DobieDad
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Par boiling is a sin against duckdom. [p]Just like it is a sin against ribdom.[p]Get it straight, Evans?!![p](Thanks anyway)[p]DD
  • DobieDad
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I must have screwed up in my narrative. I smoked the duck for 4.5 hours, then went to 400 for 40 min or so. [p]The Chinese deep fry?!!!! [p]Awww, jeeez. Where was THAT in the Alton Brown series, I ask you????!!!![p]Thanks, and cheers,[p]DD
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Thanks for the post and "how to's", Rodger![p]The only times I've had duck have been cooked by hunters who don't know how to even cook a good hot dog, let alone a hamburger, let alone a duck!!! So I guess I've had a problem getting too excited, but I think you have made me re think this water bird. Where do you buy duck?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]
    ...and now I have been spanked...and sent off to bed!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • DobieDad
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Oh, dear.[p]And you have had such a tough week with LR and the Troll . . . [p]I feel so GUILTY ! ! ! ! [p]Uggh.[p]The only solution, death by duck. [p]I'm going to the fridge for left overs....[p]It's all your fault. [p](sniff . . . )
  • DobieDad
    Options
    Ron,[p]Since we moved here I've been thru 4 butchers, and about 5 months ago found one who has been outstanding. They go to bbq fests to show off their meat, and have cooked next to someone up here that uses an Egg. I bought a couple of butts from them and brought them back some PP dusted with Dizzy Pig. The guys nearly went nuts.[p]I've asked for, and received, lamb loin such as I purchased in Oz. Early this week I asked for fresh duck, and they said it could take 4 days. Wrong. They had it in two. Turns out there are suppliers in Indiana, here in Illinois and in WI. So you should be able to order fresh duck from a local butcher.[p]Best of luck,[p]Rodger
  • guavawood
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]Looks good![p]Hey is that a squash and how did you cook it? Looks good too.[p]Aloha!!
    greg

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]I gotta try this! Thanks for the kick in the butt. :~)[p]John
  • eggdog
    eggdog Posts: 38
    Options
    RRP, i'm sure you know this, but the difference between domestic duck and wild duck is night and day. no fat on wild duck and the meat is all the color of raw beef liver. i love domestic duck, but wild duck is an acquired taste than most can never master.

• DobieDad
    Options
    Thanks, John,[p]I forgot to mention that the internal temp after the 40 minutes at 400*F had gone to 180 - 185*F. That worried me at first, until I sampled it. All was just fine.[p]The first cook with only salt and pepper gave me the unmasked tastes of the duck. I really think there is room here for some serious playing around with rubs and finishing sauces...[p]Something at which you guys are expert. I've got some ideas. [p]Let us know if you knock it out of the park![p]DD

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    eggdog,
    That is certainly right on the money. Cooking wild duck or geese this way makes shoe leather. Wild birds require brining or braising. The lo-n-slo cook that Dobiedad shows is great for domestic birds. We keep ours all together instead of spatch cocked, but the result looks the same. Nice picture show!

• RRP
    Options
    Rodger,
    That drip pan of yours...is that a deep dish pizza pan? Also the copper elbow spacer idea...3 or 4 of them?
    I'm going this morning to my favorite butcher shop to inquire about availability of fresh domestic duck...since they get kinda funky about "exotic" meats - quotes seem like guesses or estimates of what they think each customer could pay - so what price is reasonable? Once I started to pay sight unseen for a capon yard bird and they wanted nearly $50 for a 3 pounder - nope, no dice I said!

• DobieDad
    Options
    RRP,[p]I paid $2.69/lb for a 5.5 lb bird, so under $15.[p]Yes, the drip pan is the Wal*Mart deep dish pizza pan. I set it on 3 spacers, 1/2" copper elbows, so the liquid I put in (water) would not boil out and the grease fry.[p]Duck-sm.jpg[p]Mine came from Culver Duck Farms of Middlebury, Indiana.[p]HTH,[p]Rodger
  • RRP
    Options
    DobieDad,
    just as I suspected my butcher wants $5.69 per pound or $3 more than yours - and besides that - this is a rock hard frozen one at that!

• DobieDad
    Options
    I'd say it's time to find a new butcher, don't you think Ron???[p]Rodger
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ducks01.jpg
    <p />DobieDad,
    You're not invited to Mikes minfest. LOL The foxes and cougars got all my pets.[p]They were really fun for a few years.[p]Mike