Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1st Overnight Boston Butt (pic heavy)

Well - here we go...

Great deal on meat at Wilkes Meat Market:

Simple rub of mustard and DP Dizzy Dust:

All rubbed down, headed for the fridge for a few hours:
Passing the time - Tiger Woods 2014 and a glass (or 3) of wine:

Pit temp set at 250 and meat temp at 195:

Butt went on at 4:30am (daylight savings time) - More pics to follow when finished!
Large & Mini, Cumming, GA  
image - 2009 Alumni
·

Comments

• grege345grege345 Posts: 2,719
    Gotta love the local butcher.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos
    ·
  • laserdoc85laserdoc85 Posts: 551
    Always got to love wilkes. Perfect size butt at 5.8 pounds
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    ·
  • fence0407fence0407 Posts: 1,038
    Woke up to find the egg holding steady at 250. Enjoying an omelet and the stall:
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·
  • NautiRogueNautiRogue Posts: 100

I'm doing a 10# pork butt.  Put it on at 9:00 PM last night.  I wasn't sure how long it would take, and I didn't want it to be done before we woke up, so I set the pit to 220.  Woke up at 7:30 this morning with the meat reading 155, so I bumped the pit to 300.  An hour later, I wrapped it and drizzled it with butter.  Now, after it's been on the pit for 13 hours, it's reading 186.

It's smelling good!

·
    Sounds like you are gonna have good results this afternoon! Try to send a pic when it's done.
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·
  • NautiRogueNautiRogue Posts: 100

Ha!  Oops.  Didn't see this in time.  It's off the pit, rested, and pulled.  I have to say that this one is one of my best!  The reeeeeeally low and slow did its work. 

I'm not going to sauce it.  It's going on the table on its own with sauce available on the side.  Delicious!

·
  • Wilkes is a great place. Everything is top quality. 

·
    And finally - 14.5 hours later....victory! FTC right now until I can't wait any longer:
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·
  • r2davis65r2davis65 Posts: 129
    Looks great.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,291
    edited March 2014
    I did about 5 lbs bone in today. I split a 10lb so not exact.
    Did 250-275
    9 hours and done. I usually have poor timing and need to chop a bit, but this one got to temp and pulled nice. Patience and timing is key I'm learning.

No.progress pics but it pulled great hope you don't mind my pics in your thread

Dished
    imageimage
    Seattle, WA
    ·
    Looks great! Patients is very important I agree.
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·
  • Cymbaline65Cymbaline65 Posts: 796
    Loved Wilkes in Snellville but use Fergusons now. Have you been to Fergusons (on Brown's Bridge) and if so, how would you compare the two?
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
    Loved Wilkes in Snellville but use Fergusons now. Have you been to Fergusons (on Brown's Bridge) and if so, how would you compare the two?
    I usually only go to Ferguson's for their lunches. Can't beat the prices for meat and 2 sides. We got coupons in the mail for Wilkes, so that's the only reason we went. I used to live up that direction, so it's kind of a drive now. How do you like Ferguson's?
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·