Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friend taught me how to make pizza.

Options

My friend Matt, returned the favor for teaching a New Jersey guy to make a Texas style brisket, by teaching me how to make a pie.  He brought the dough with him, because it take a while for the dough to rise, but we did make some that I'll use later in the week.  This was easier than I thought.  Interestingly he weighs the ingredients instead of measuring them.  Supposed to be more accurate.  I forgot to take pics, during the prep, and a front blew in so I did not want to have the egg open, for very long.  I cooked at 500F, for about 5 minutes, using the plat setter and pizza a pizza stone on the grate.

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Flour, water, salt, yeast. Great book on breads and doughs
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    I struggle to make what we think is a great pizza on the egg.  We are a pizza family and have tried countless times using the egg.  The toppings and cheese never seen to get that perfect char that we long for without the crust getting overdone. We have tried all the set ups.  I have a Blackstone Pizza oven that does wonderful but we have to eliminate the oil and the sugar because of the high temperature and just lacks some flavor. My go to pizza oven is our trusty old oven in the house set at 550 degrees with a pizza stone heated for about an hour.. A  2 day cold rise on some dough and bam good pizza. I bought the egg because I wanted some wood/charcoal fired pizza but got the best smoker and grill anyone could ask but for.  Pizza not so much.  High in the dome worked the best out of the set ups tho. We may have a different expectation of what good pizza should be compared to some of the results and the pics we seen.   No matter what, Pizza is the realization that God wants us to be happy.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I think I'm going back to the oven.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options

I really like the Egg for a few pizzas.  You've got to modify the dough to get the top to brown, and it does take a full load of fuel, but you're eating pizza relatively fast with little fuss.  The best NY style pie I ever made was on the Egg.

HOWEVER, for more than 3, or if I want really great pizza, I burn my WFO.  There's just not even remotely a comparison.  If pizza is your primary concern, a WFO is better than an Egg.

Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options

Here's that NY style.  The bottom didn't happen, since I didn't take pics, but it was leopard spotted.  This was a 4 minute pie at 650+. 

Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Unfortunately, I completely agree with you @fatmike.  I know exactly what I want in my pizza: tasty/airy/chewy/fold-able with slight char on top and leopard spots on bottom.  Simple classic toppings with simple dough ingredients (without oil and sugar) all married together perfectly.

The egg can bake at 650+ and provides slight wood flavor, so it has TONS of potential - right??????   To me I just find my BGE too inconsistent, especially for the extra work compared to an oven.  I have tried every egg setup with every kind of dough and flour combination, purchased a IR thermometer, trying to make my BGE into a great pizza making vessel.  PLEASE DONT TELL, but I now bring my stone in the house, preheat it on the top shelf at 550F for around an hour - and use a wet dough - and I get VERY good results - that are repeatable.  Top cooks perfectly in the oven and bottom is comparable to my best results I got using higher temps on the egg. 

I have not tried it yet, but I would like to start my wet dough in a preheated oven (I have two stones) on the top rack for a few minutes - this would allow the top to develop as the red hot oven coil is just inches from the pizza top.  I would like to then transfer the pizza over to my BGE on the preheated stone (700+) to perfect the bottom for a few additional minutes - allow to cool for few mins on a cooling rack - then slice.  I know this is a pain in the butt, but I would be very curious to try it out just once.  Any thoughts?  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Texansurf said:

Interestingly he weighs the ingredients instead of measuring them.  Supposed to be more accurate. 

Pizzas look good. I find weighing to work out better as well, especially with dough and sausage. There are so many kinds of salt out there, each with a different grain size so volume doesn't work. Gotta go with weight.

I'll admit that I think the last 4 pizzas I've done have been in the oven. Its just been more convenient and I haven't felt like dealing with the weather. I've also been told by SWMBOed to quit making bread and pizza dough so I don't know when we'll have pizza again...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    @fatmike. I do NY style all the time in my blackstone. I turn the regulator down one full turn and another half turn and then adjust the front dial accordingly. NY style is my favorite on the B.S. oven. I have even done a papa johns clone with a lot of oil in the dough.