Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Chuckies for Pulled Beef

Options
I'm interested in cooking hot and fast for the first time, and I can't get any consistency cooking chuck roasts. swmbo doesn't do pulled pork. The results have been delicious, but they can be done in 6 hrs or 12. I'm going to put two 3 lb chuck roasts on at 9am tomorrow, indirect, no water pan, 350. Injected with tart cherry juice, mustard and rub, and into the fridge overnight. Hopefully not going to foil. Planning on going until 205 by the Thermapen FTC for at least one hour. Anything that won't pull gets chopped and into Brunswick stew. My Wife is making rolls with her new kitchenaid. I like cooking all night long, but not when it's this cold. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I don't typically rush beef like I do pork, I just think it dries out a lot quicker, but if you are using it for stew that should be just fine.  I'm sure others will disagree and that's the beauty of the Egg is there is so many ways to accomplish the goal. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 1cajuncook
    Options
    I've done the Americas Test Kitchen recipe and it works. Cut you roasts into 3-4" chunks, season with a rub, and put them in a disposable pan on the egg with lots of smoke for 2 hours. Then cover with foil and let cook until tender enough to pull.
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I don't typically rush beef like I do pork, I just think it dries out a lot quicker, but if you are using it for stew that should be just fine.  I'm sure others will disagree and that's the beauty of the Egg is there is so many ways to accomplish the goal. 

+1 on the no rush. I have done several chuckies and my best ones have been cooked at 260 until 160ish on the IT then wrapped in HDAF until about 200-210IT when it probes like Buttah. Any time I have tried to rush beef I ended up with a bunch of soup meat.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've never turboed a chuckie, but if I did, I would still foil, or do in a pan and cover. Why waste all that juice. I see dried meat in your future if you opt not to. I could be wrong...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings