Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket: To Trim, or not to Trim?

I have owned my LBGE for about 7 years now and cooked brisket for only the third time last weekend.  I was very nervous, but at the end of the day it was a great success.  We had 10 friends over for dinner and everyone raved.  Used a whole packer, did a competition trim, and made my own rub.

Before trimming the brisket weighed 12lb 8oz, after it wieghed 7lb 13oz.  I did not use a crutch and the meat was moist, but it made me think: what happens if you don't trim the heavy fat off the back, but just scrape it off before serving? 

Does anyone do this, and what is the impact?

·

Comments

• I usually trim it to uniform 1/4" thickness.  The only down side to the fat is it does not allow the smoke to penetrate it and you do not get a nice bark on that side.  Not sure what a competition trim is but almost 5lbs off?  
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Wouldn't you sacrifice about 40% of the bark?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ParcallParcall Posts: 40
    Yes, I trimmed about 4 1/2 lbs of fat.  The bark was great, and yes, I believe that leaving the fat would ruin the bark, just didn't know about flavor.
    ·
  • shuckershucker Posts: 217
    I've done them both ways. I can't tell a noticeable difference in moisture or flavor either way. I can tell that I miss the bark though.

Shucker

Eastern North Carolina

Go Pirates!

Large & Mini Max Big Green Eggs

·
  • insanehinsaneh Posts: 96
    What did you do with the fat?
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    How many lbs did you end up with?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ParcallParcall Posts: 40

1. I discarded the fat.

2. It wieghed 7lb 13oz when it went on the egg.

3.  Thanks for the input, I would miss the bark as well, it was delicious.

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,249
    last one i did i weighed after cooking it came in at 9.6 pounds started at 18.24 before trimming.  i didn't weigh it after trimming but i am guessing 3-4 pounds.  i would still always trim just because the bark or as I saw in the a Anthony Bourdain episode "the sugar cookie" is my favorite part. 
    ·
    The last brisket I did, I rinsed the fat, coated it with olive oil and seasoned it with the same rub and threw those on the grill also.

8-}
    ·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 587
    The experts, not me, say that it is helpful to trim off the hard fat.  I take that off, plus try to trim down the soft fat to 1/4" of meat.  The briskets have been great that way.  I just do a simple heavy coat of black pepper and kosher salt on the brisket.  I have tried other fancier, more expensive rubs but in the end they didn't seem to improve the taste of the meat.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • I do the same thing as QDUDE. you don't need all that fancy travis method ****, just salt and pepper. Trim the fat but leave a thing cap of it
    Austin, Texas
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    @andres1987 - your rather extravagant description of the "fancy travis method" causes me to wonder if you are any better at cooking than your obvious inability to use the English language in a suitable manner on this forum.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • Springram said:
    @andres1987 - your rather extravagant description of the "fancy travis method" causes me to wonder if you are any better at cooking than your obvious inability to use the English language in a suitable manner on this forum.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    saying "****" is unsuitable? didn't realize this was Oprah's book club
    Austin, Texas
    ·
  • I am going to sit back and watch this thread. I have a feeling it could get interesting

Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
    ·
    edited January 2014
    I am going to sit back and watch this thread. I have a feeling it could get interesting

You should get one of these for such occasions.

Never mind. I cant get it to load.
    :((
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468

Dis gon be good!
    ·