Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will mustard improve the bark on a turbo butt?

Options
I've seen some posts saying the bark isn't quite as good on a turbo butt as a low n slow cook and thought using mustard when first applying the BB rub may help. Any thoughts or should I just apply the BB directly before going on the egg. Thanks
Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Other than perhaps helping rub to stick I haven't found that mustard makes much of a difference.

If you do a turbo and don't foil you will still have good bark. Or...just wait until the bark is nice and set up before foiling.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shadowcaster
    Options
    I always use mustard on my butts so I can't really say much about bark production when not using it. I would imagine if you don't foil you should still have a good bark without it.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Just what was said above: don't foil the turbos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I've tried both ways and could never tell a difference so I do not use mustard any longer.