Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for sausage makers - link making

Options
The question regarding the KitchenAid grinder and discussion about sausage links prompts me to ask this as I am an amateur when it comes to making links. Only tried it once so far with moderate success.

I used collagen casing to make breakfast sausage links. I managed to fill the casings loose enough to twist them into links with only one blow-out. But is there a trick to doing the twisting easily? I had some difficulty getting them twisted without the rest coming untwisted. I alternated directions like I had seen in Youtube vids - they made it look very simple. However, most were using natural casings.

Also, how do you keep them twisted together on the ends when you cut the links apart? I left mine twisted and froze them. I took them out of the freezer the next day and cut them apart to package, but they tend to blow out a little on the ends when I cook them. Perhaps this is just the nature of the beast, but I cannot help but wonder how store bought links maintain their shape so well?

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Industrial sausage stuffers operate at high speed and can vary everything in minute details.  The sausage mix is pumped at specific pressures and the collagen casings are fed at exacting speeds to match.  If sausages are linked it is also high speed and mechanical.

Lots of times on breakfast links though you can see the links just cut with no twist and a little pull back on the casing during cooking is normal (especially if you cover them so there is some steam).

I think you did great if you were able to get some twisting on collagen with only one blow out.  I would probably have just done a pinch and snip.  I also think the guys that make it look easy have made more sausage than I ever will.

Care to share a recipe/pics of what you did?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I've only used collagen once and to me it didn't seem like it would be able to twist and link very well. I just pinched and snipped. Wasn't very worried about them blowing out a bit on the end as you can see in my blurry pictures.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    BigWader said:

Care to share a recipe/pics of what you did?

Sorry, but since this was a first run for me I did not get pics. I won't post my recipe yet either since I am still not totally happy with it. I just used a sage breakfast sausage recipe I found by Googling and am in the process of tweaking it to my liking - just not there yet. Last batch was close (bulk sausage made into patties) but still needed more salt. When I master this I will post pics and a recipe.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I made 20 lb of pork sausages today using hog casing.  Haven't counted yet but I'm guessing it's about 90-100 links, not a single blowout.

I use a large round shallow pan to collect the links ... the trick is to twist each link as soon as there's enough meat in the casing by pinching it with one hand and rotating the whole pan with the previous links undisturbed a few times with the other hand ... this guarantees that previous links don't pop and don't untwist.

I semi-freeze them before cutting the links and vacuum seal to freeze, no end blowout either when cooked probably because it's hog casing, it's kind of self-sealing.

Making another 10 lb tomorrow with different seasoning. 

canuckland