Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow to achieve high temp on Small Egg

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a both a small and a large egg. The small is new and I am finding that while I love it for searing it takes a good bit longer to achieve 750. Is this consitant with the experiences of the rest of you?[p]JNK

Comments

• tinman
    tinman Posts: 42
    Options
    I have a large and small. although it takes a little longer to start, I recently switched to Wicked Good Charcoal and find not only higher temps but faster getting there. the charcoal really makes a huge difference. I'll cook w/ nothing else.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    JNK,
    I think each and every egg has its own personality. My small takes roughly 20-30 minutes to get over 600° where I have seen others do it in 15-20 minutes.....nothing to be concerned with really, just make sure the opening in the firebox is aligned with the draft door as well as it can, clear the ash from the grate often and thats about all you can do...It is what it is...LOL[p]Wess

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    JNK,
    my small is slower to light than my large. since i started using a weed burner to light it, this hasnt been an issue. one thing to note with the small, is that it needs to be cleaned more often. the ash builds up fast in the small, maybe because i use it for higher temps more often than the large, maybe because the ash area is significantly smaller

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    JNK,
    I did steaks for my first cook on the new Small I picked up at Eggtoberfest. After seeing so many posts here about Smalls taking a long time to get up to temp, I was expecting mine to take half an hour to hit 700. Luckily, I checked it at 18 minutes, because it was alredy at 725! I used an electric starter and no fans.[p]Mike