Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger Corn Pone Pie

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_1942.jpg
<p />I didn't post a pic of this when I first did it a couple of days ago, but since I've grazed on it for a while I've decided it was really pretty darn good.[p]Very simple, although I modified it to the recipe below:
-pound or so of ground beef with 1/2 cup chopped onion browned in 1 Tbs. vegetable oil then drained and seasoned to taste[p]-rinsed and drained can of ranch style beans (they called for kidney beans)[p]-1 cup or so of whole kernal corn (my addition)[p]-it calls for 2 tsp. of chili powder, but I used a couple of teaspoons of fresh crushed red and green New Mexico chilis (about twice too much, actually.... although quite good)[p]-1 cup of tomatoes[p]1 tsp. Worchestershire[p]Mix all together and pour in greased cassarole dish and top with at least 1 cup ( I used a bit more and I made it a little sweeter than usual) of cornbread batter...spread around with a wet knife until it sort of filters into the meat mixture.[p]Cook indirect (platesetter) at 425 for 20 minutes (I went a little longer).[p]It has proven to be real quick and easy comfort food.[p]Mike

IMG_1943.jpg

Comments

• BarnBurner
    Options
    Thanks for that recipe...my grandmother used to make a version of this when I was a kid and we loved it. Also, I noticed you served it with the perfect side dish- fried okra!!!
  • Big Jim
    Big Jim Posts: 50
    Options
    Lawn Ranger, That looks really good, but I have noticed that a lot of your pictures have some great looking okra in them. Please let me know how it, as it reminds (appearence wise) me of my grandmothers. Thanks, Jim

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    bigjim,
    It reminds me of my Mom's and Grandmother's, also. I could eat fried okra every day. I use only a coarse, stone ground meal when I make it, but have found that the sliced, frozen okra does just as good a job as fresh....well, maybe 99% as good. So, don't wait on fresh okra....just do it. [p]I fry mine in minimal grease in a cast iron skillet....drain....and season with salt and pepper.[p]Love it![p]Mike

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    Thanks, I noticed the okra also. Have been waiting for fresh but the boat here may never arrive. I'll look for the frozen. Yellow corn meal after dip in egg or can you forget the egg? Thanks

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Charbon,
    Forget the egg. Let it thaw in a large zip lock bag , and when it starts to get soft,,...add the corn meal and keep turning and massaging until each piece is coated. You'll be pleased.....I'm so anal-retentive, perfectionistic that it hurts, and even I still think it competes with my Grandma's....pssst....(it's in the cornmeal). [p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger,[p]I make a similar recipe that I call Mexican Cornbread.
    I don't measure just throw it in till it feels right. [p]1 lb meat
    onion
    chili powder
    cumin
    cream or whole kernal corn(drained)
    1 can rotel(drained)
    few shakes worstershire and maybe a little Head Country BBQ sauce. [p]Brown then drain the meat and add other ingredients except the cheese and let simmer for a few minutes... then I drain it again. I start in one skillet then just before adding the cheese I transfer the mixture to a clean pre-heated then greased cast iron skillet. I then add a layer of sharp cheddar cheese and pour the cornbread mix on top of the cheese. Make sure the cornbread mix filters down into the meat mixture. I then place the skillet in the oven @ 400* till the cornbread browns. Makes some mighty good eats![p]Maybe someday I'll have an Egg! [p]

• LawnRanger,[p]I love okra as well! Lately I've been just throwin it in the skillet and brown it. When it's almost done I dust it lightly with cornmeal. Season it up with s&p and some Tony Chachera's.
  • Oh yes.... gotta use a little bacon grease.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I got a very similar recipe a few weeks ago and it's already a family favorite. So far I'm still doing it in the oven, but it certainly could be done on an egg.[p]Tamale Pie [p]Mix the following together:

2# ground beef, browned
    1 can refried beans
    1 can corn, drained
    1 can or jar salsa

Use soup-sized cans/jars. Any type of salsa that you like is fine. I used a very plain one.

Put the mixture in a greased 9 x 12 casserole. You don't really have to grease it but it makes cleanup a bit easier, imo.

Mix up a box of Jiffy corn bread mix and add 1 cup of shredded cheddar to it. Put little globs all over the top of the meat mixture. Top that with more shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees until the top is done. My recipe said 35 minutes but it was beginning to burn after 20. It actually looked done by about 10 minutes. You are only heating it up and baking the corn bread mixture which is so spread out it cooks rapidly. (Note - the second time I made this it took a lot longer to bake than the first time. Go figure.)

Serve with sour cream. The woman who made this for me forgot the sour cream, and so did I when I served it tonight. I guess it doesn't really need it! (Note - I did remember the sour cream the second time and it was good with it, but still not totally necessary.)[p]Gwen