Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

one down, two to go

edited 4:43AM in EggHead Forum
Momma kat brought home three 3.5-4.0 pound boneless round rump roasts as they looked good and "beefy"! In her opinion between some marinade connoction and the BGE I can tenderize shoe leather (do I have her fooled or what?) Well, I looked for a recipe for this cut, but found nothing, so I settled on the Tri-Tip approach. I even let it sit for 48 hours in the marinade instead of the 24 and then 24 in the rub instead of 12...thinking the extra time should do the trick. I followed the Tri-Tip directions and pulled it off when polder reached 135. Bottom line...it was a piece of over cooked still tough meat. I hate to waste so much food, but we won't revisit that thing again and garbage pickup is Friday so bye bye roast. My question then is what do I do with the remaining 8 pounds of meat? Any recipes out there, gang? Thanks in advance. ^oo^~
·

Comments

• BluesnBBQBluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    one feral kat asks, "My question then is what do I do with the remaining 8 pounds of meat? Any recipes out
    there, gang?"[p]Got a dog? My girl Blitz is very happy to take care of scraps and failures for me. :)

·
  • FingersFingers Posts: 37
    one feral kat, You can always sliceit thin and make jerky. GFW has a good recipe and method see his web page
    Fingers

·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    one feral kat,
    Round is a pretty lean cut of meat. However you might try your marinade thing with it and do it low and slow like a brisket and see if you still have your shoe leather. One other way might be to 'lard' it like they used to do - using a larding needle to insert strips of fat into the meat. If you do have any success let us know.
    JimW

·
  • g-og-o Posts: 39
    one feral kat, Take em back and exchange em or go with the jerky. Momma needs advice on what NOT to buy. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    ·
  • g-og-o Posts: 39
    one feral kat, Darn it! I almost forgot. You can always cut that meat up in chunks, plop it in the pressure cooker for about 20 min. - add some veg., cook a little more and have you a stew. Later.

·
  • SpiceCooksSpiceCooks Posts: 80
    one feral kat,
    If you will give me your email address, I will email you a recipe that never fails for us. You can try it.

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    one feral kat,
    Is it too late..thats one nice chunk of meat and salvagable.
    We did a "Back to Basics" cook a few weeks ago and two rump roasts were selected. Great eating!
    Chowser..C~W[p]

·