Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is just Fowl.

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Organic free range pieces. Breasts, legs, and boneless skinless thighs. Grilled raised direct at 400*. I overshot the temp. Family said it was dry. They expect home runs every time so when I overshoot the temp by 5 or 10 degrees they can tell. Still better than a gas grill.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Wow... Tuff crowd. Looks great from here.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have lived in FL for over 20yrs. But, prior to that I lived in NE and was a big time game bird hunter. Primarily hunted pheasant, prairie chicken, grouse & doves. I would love to try pheasant on the BGE. I betcha it's good good good. Nice cook you did there. I read organic free range pieces...but, what kind of bird? Is this something you hunted or bought?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
    Options
    I do my hunting at Kroger. No it's just chicken. Would love to try some duck.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    jtippers said:
    Wow... Tuff crowd. Looks great from here.
    Exactly what I was thinking...it looks great!   At least you know you must have set the bar high with your previous cooks.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Just my opinion but it's probably the free range that caused the dryness. I go to 200* with dark chicken parts

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just my opinion but it's probably the free range that caused the dryness. I go to 200* with dark chicken parts
    I only cook free range. Never have an issue. Perhaps it's the brand?

Bell and Evans FTW!
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I have 3 choices for chicken; standard Tyson/Purdue type, then Simple Truth Organic, and Simple Truth Organic Free Range.  I figured Organic Free Range was better than caged organic.  Steven disagrees and thinks the Perdue/Tyson kind is better.  Trying to stay away from the hormones and antibiotic stuff as much as I can.
    Member since 2009
    Options
    I could have simply overcooked it.  It shot through 160* as I was tasty my wine for the evening, and it got away from me.  
    Member since 2009
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    My chicken comes exclusively from Costco. Dunno where they find it, but they iz dam good.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    Try brining the free range chicken. That will solve the dryness problem.