Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket success!

Options
xjwheelr
xjwheelr Posts: 20
edited December 2013 in Beef
Ok, after my first miserable failure a couple weeks ago, I tried brisket again for the second time. Here are the stats: 13.4 lb packer, pre-trim. 2:1 S/P rub, nothing else. 250 dome temp (most if the time, see below). ~6 chunks Pecan with a tad bit of mesquite from my yard. 17.5 hours total cook time. 4 hour FTC. Since burnt the ever living hell out of my first brisket, I was a little chicken and closed the vents just a tad before going to bed, to prevent a rise while is was asleep (my Maverick's dome probe is broken). When I woke up, the dome had dropped to about 210, no doubt due to my conservatism. This prolonged the cook for sure. Got it back up to 250-270 for the remainder of the cook, and ended up pulling it at 195 IT. I had somewhere to be or I would have waited till at least 200. Long story, short...pics below :) Flavor is fantastic (oh that S&P bark!), just enough smoke, amazingly tender even though I pulled at 195. And look at that smoke ring! :-) Taking about a third of it to my wife's crossfit party tonight...have mixed emotions about sharing to at much of it. Again, thanks for all the help, whether direct or via lurking. -Eric

Comments