Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Blackened Snook!!! Lots of Pics :)

portaporta Posts: 88
Well, Snook season is over here in FL (Tampa). Thankfully they opened it for a few months so we could enjoy for a little while. It's been 3 + years since I had it so this was a treat. It was my mission to get one on Saturday. I mostly target Redfish (I fish tournaments) so I decided to go get a Snook while I still could. It was a 30"er not my biggest but it would do for dinner :) I got some NICE filets off of her. Decided to use my dad's Redfish recipe. Only cooked 1 filet and it was more than plenty. Put the cast iron pan on the egg and went Nuclear! 700 degrees until the pan was white hot. brush generously with unsalted butter and seasoned w/ redfish blackening season on both sides. Only takes 2 minutes per side. It was delicious!!! Served with red beans and rice. Enjoy! (I sure did)

68% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,210
    That looks like it was delicious!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,685
    I guess it's wrong to say I hate you. ..damn, looks fun and good
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have never had snook, but that looks so good.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • gmacgmac Posts: 573
    I'll be in Florida next month, is that a decent IPA?  I hope to fish but I know I'll do my best to try as many beers as I can while I'm there.
    Mt Elgin Ontario
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Feel free to have me over next time! I'm in Dunedin so not too far ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • portaporta Posts: 88
    Also wanted to thank @stlcharcoal. It was my first time using his fire grate and what a difference it made! I just slid a fire starter under the grate and lit it. within 10 minutes I was ready to cook which is a huge difference. I've had to wait 30+ minutes in the past.
    @gmac - I definitely reccomend trying to make it to Cigar City Brewing if you can. Great brewery with over 20 beers on tap made there on a daily basis. http://cigarcitybrewing.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=3&Itemid=31 
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 1,904
    That looks great.  Been several years since I've had fresh snook.  One of my favorites!!
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." 
    -Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Peachtree Corners, GA
  • i thought it wouuld look like this...
    Beaufort, SC
    No....Snook! not, Snooki!!! :)
  • I know it's a good feeling to catch that beautiful fish and to have it for dinner. Nice! I also fish. What was your rod setup?
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
    @EggoMattic - I keep it simple. I stick with Shimano reels and Redbone rod's. My garage looks like a fishing outlet!
    Looking at this reminds me why I always keep the handle of a CI pan to the back....I always want to grab it. haha
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,080
    Looks great. Never had snook before, now I want to try it. Thanks for the tips on how you cooked it. I just got some new DP Bayou-ish and was going to blacken something this weekend. I'll follow your directions.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 620
    Looks great, fun to catch & fun to eat.  Glad you got one of those elusive creatures.
    Milton, GA.