Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermapen questions/gripesl

2»

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 7,057
    @SickEyeDiaz - funning aside. I feel your pain. I used the thermoworks rt600c ($25) for a few years and loved it. Defended it many times against the pricier thermapen. Finally gave in to the thermapen when the backlit model came out, because that's one thing i wished the rt600c had.

The first couple of times i used the thermapen it seemed really squirelly - temps bouncing around, etc. Yes, its calibrated correctly. There was a bit of  learning curve, not much. Like others said, for flatter pieces you need to measure parallel the plane of the meat to get a more accurate temp. I still don't love it, but the backlit display does make things easier. I just don't think it was entirely worth the extra $$.

And its true... the red ones are the fastest. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • I thought the British racing green was the fastest
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,838
    I have to agree with Cali on the Red being the fastest. I got one this week and let my wife use it tonight to check the meatloaf (in the hot clock, long story) and she kept waiting & waiting for it to keep climbing in temp. She said it was stuck and couldn't read temp that fast.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • EagleIIIEagleIII Posts: 179
    All the tips here are accurate. The Thermapen is worth every penny, but I will say, they do offer two separate models...one backlit, and one not, as you found out. When I went to the Thermapen website to order mine, I researched both models on the website add opted for the backlit model, which I figured was well worth the extra $16. I must say, it was absolutely worth every extra penny.
    ·
  • Yeah, if they have a model with a backlight and one without a backlight, and you buy the one without a backlight, what do you expect? They don't do this as a public service. They offer two models because some people want and need the backlight and are willing to pay a little more for it. The corporation exists to make money. I got the brown one because it was slightly cheaper and brown is the fastest. I didn't get the backlight one because I have a floodlight on my deck - and a $3 little led camping lantern. I'm grateful that they offer a less expensive alternative rather than forcing me to buy the backlight model at a higher price.
    ·
  • I just use my 2k night vision goggles. They were worth every penny for reading that temp without the backlight. I just could not see paying that higher price for a little backlight
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    ·
  • warwomanwarwoman Posts: 224
    I just use my 2k night vision goggles. They were worth every penny for reading that temp without the backlight. I just could not see paying that higher price for a little backlight

Touche!!!!

=))
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,327
    The thermopen is nice and very accurate, but it's way overpriced for the run of the mill, backyard chef. A couple degrees either way really doesn't matter that much. I have one because I can afford it and I like the status. Lol
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • brzeltbrzelt Posts: 62
    I am in the process of getting a thermopen as a gift for my birthday... Kinda glad I saw this as I assumed it would be backlit.  Not I guess.

Cheesy if you ask me, but you all can tell everyone to buy lights to make up for it....
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,847
    brzelt said:
    I am in the process of getting a thermopen as a gift for my birthday... Kinda glad I saw this as I assumed it would be backlit.  Not I guess.

Cheesy if you ask me, but you all can tell everyone to buy lights to make up for it....
    Just to clarify- they do have a backlit model, but it is about $16 more. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • brzeltbrzelt Posts: 62

I see that.... doesn't take away that smell though...
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
    ·
  • Yeah, if they have a model with a backlight and one without a backlight, and you buy the one without a backlight, what do you expect? They don't do this as a public service. They offer two models because some people want and need the backlight and are willing to pay a little more for it. The corporation exists to make money. I got the brown one because it was slightly cheaper and brown is the fastest. I didn't get the backlight one because I have a floodlight on my deck - and a $3 little led camping lantern. I'm grateful that they offer a less expensive alternative rather than forcing me to buy the backlight model at a higher price.
    The brown one is only faster on very spicy foods.
    Brampton, Ontario

·
  • As a lefty, I wish they would sell a version with the display reversed so when I hold it in my left hand the digits are not upside down. I did email them about this and they were not interested (great CS there)
    ·