Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

spatchcock turkey size for a large

Will be doing a spatchcock turkey for thanksgiving....What is the largest size bird you have spatchcocked and it fit well on a large BGE?

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·

Comments

• bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    Cooking turkey is one situation I really wish I had an XL.   I would keep it under 14 pounds but am interested to hear what others say... 
    Charleston, SC
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,411
    I have done a 15#spatchcock turkey on a LBGE without having to get creative.  I know others have done bigger but don't recall the largest size posted. I'm sure with draping over an upside down roasting rack you could get a couple more #'s in there.  FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 252

@lousubcap

thanks for the info Captain!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·
  • Ar-CeeAr-Cee Posts: 105

I will be doing a 22 lb turkey, but, will do it as 2 halves.  No longer "spatch cock".  Two racks on my rig, indirect, and rotate racks.  We will see.  ar-cee

·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,783
    I did a 18 lber on an inverted V-Rack for T-Giving.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Ar-CeeAr-Cee Posts: 105

I will be doing a 22 lb turkey, but, will do it as 2 halves.  No longer "spatch cock".  Two racks on my rig, indirect, and rotate racks.  We will see.  ar-cee

·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,312
    I did an 18lb for thanksgiving spatched on my large, fit fine but it was close.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • RaidereggRaideregg Posts: 12
    edited November 2014
                      Raideregg
     Promoting the best the Egg has to offer!
    ·