Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cleaning my BGE

Don't laugh, But is it ok to pressure-wash my large BGE; all parts, inside and out? Or is this a: "Are you out of your mind" question. 
·

Comments

• I'm not laughing I swear! Don't do that!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    Why clean it? Really, why?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,091
    That black is FLAVOR!!!
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • i almost spit out my lunch reading this question! sounds like a bad idea bud

·
  • gfavorgfavor Posts: 61
    LOL, to Chuck !!!

Ok I got it, This IS a "Are you out of your FRIGN mind" question.  Someone HACKed my formum account and asked this, it really wasn't the real me :o
    ·
  • You can wipe the outside off with a damp rag or even scrub the outside but don't ever put any cleaner or soap on it. Search Clean Burn for the inside
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • As an alternative, do a clean burn. Load up the fire box, light and let her go. Put your girds, daisy wheel and plate setter in and the heat will burn off any built up crud.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    What's a good temp to run a Clean Burn and how long?  I don't want to screw-up my wonderful BGE.
    ·
  • I'd say 600+ degrees for a couple of hours. I've usually done them after a cook and just let it burn until it burns out. The only risk you run is losing your gasket if it's not properly "seasoned".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    never washed mine and it looks good as new

·
    LOL. That's Hilarious !!!! AND the gasket looks in great shape !!!!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    @fishlessman  has a cooking Egg :x
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,814
    gfavor said:
    LOL. That's Hilarious !!!! AND the gasket looks in great shape !!!!
    honestly i dont see anything wrong hitting the outside with a pressure washer, even the inside, just let it dry before starting it up or start with a small fire to dry it out. on a side note, i STEAM cleaned the truck last week
    :)) i havent washed it in nearly 20 years and i bought it new in 1989, it really needed it and it took off some of that loose dodge peeling paint that they liked to put on trucks back then
    :D
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,814
    Mickey said:
    @fishlessman  has a cooking Egg :x
    i did do a clean burn last weekend, those automatic pepperflakes falling from the dome are not what they are cracked up to be
    :D some chicken dinner from the weekend

·
  • 55drum55drum Posts: 95
    Agree...go with the cleanburn....
    ·
  • I read somewhere to use a wadded ball of aluminum foil to scrub off the loose flakes.

·
  • I've pressure washed mine before, and it did fine. I had gone a couple of months without using it, and it was growing a science project inside. Not a problem anymore though since I get to use my egg more.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • I read somewhere to use a wadded ball of aluminum foil to scrub off the loose flakes.
    That's what I occasionally do--a combo of a clean burn and then a scrub with a wadded ball of aluminum foil to knock off any cresote bubbles/flakes that made it through the burn.
    ·
    Thanks all for these responses, the advice and humor :o)  I'll have another silly/stupid question coming soon. Happy Friday. Also my wife said I HAVE to do BGE Ribs this Saturday !!!!

AL vs LSU  and Ribs, it don't get no better !!!!
    ·