Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

First steak

Tonight will be my first time to cook steaks on the EGG. Any tips anyone wants to share? Thinking of doing a reverse sear.
XL BGE
·

Comments

• jtippersjtippers Posts: 509
    +1 on the reverse sear... then make the egg nuclear for the sear. Flip often and don't worry about grill marks.Shoot for a solid crust over the entire steak.
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • HoovHoov Posts: 256
    I agree. I nearly always go with a reverse sear for a nice thick steak. I like to add one cherry or pecan chunk for the roast. Pull at 115-120 and then open the vents for the sear! Wear gloves and be careful when searing would be my advice from experience with this cook. The fat from ribeyes can really get a blaze going if you have more than 4 or 5 steaks on, in my experience. Good luck and post pics of your results!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
    ·
    Oh yeah, and I don't really time the sear either, just go until it looks nice and crusty, or until you are about 5 under your final temp.
    - Norman, OK
    ·
  • Seanr7Seanr7 Posts: 207
    I'm now a fan of reverse searing.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • Post some pics if u can Sean
    ·
    Coffee encrusted steak with shrimp.

Didn't get pics after I brought them off the grill but they were right between medium rare and medium.

240 degrees 6 min per side. Pulled and rested while I got the EGG up to 600. 90 seconds per side for the sear.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    XL BGE
    ·
    Also had some wine.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    XL BGE
    ·
  • Looks good bud.
    ·
    Looks great! What was the rub? Some sort of coffee rub?
    - Norman, OK
    ·
    Fresh ground coffee, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,905
    Looks and sounds really good!

I still haven't tried reverse sear, I enjoy it too much the old fashioned way.. But I will one day.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
    edited November 2013
    @Solson005. It was easy as hell! The egg rocketed from 240 to 600 in less then three minutes. Nice crust, great grill marks, very juicy. This is for sure in my wheel house now.
    XL BGE
    ·
    @Solson005 I normally do the reverse sear when I have steaks over 1.5 inches for the side to side medium rare effect. Also, people who haven't been exposed to egg food yet are amazed when I give them a steak with a touch of smoke flavor from the indirect portion of the reverse sear. I do like the simplicity of an all direct cook though, and the results are still great.
    - Norman, OK
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,905
    @Hoov @Seanr7 I have no doubts it is delicious. I will eventually try it, as it is many eggers go to method.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·